Broken front piece under bumper? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Broken front piece under bumper?

kristin04gt
04-26-2004, 04:08 PM
One of the plastic pieces in the front of my car under/behind the bumper seems to have disappeared. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't remember hitting anything, but almost the entire piece of the driver side one is gone.

Can it be replaced? I'm assuming it can be...but you never know.

crazypontiac03
04-26-2004, 04:13 PM
its the air dam, mine are still on but bottom out all the time it can be replaced of course but it doesnt matter supposely its to help force the air up into the engine but i havent seen that result, but to answer ur question it can be replaced

kristin04gt
04-26-2004, 04:19 PM
its the air dam, mine are still on but bottom out all the time it can be replaced of course but it doesnt matter supposely its to help force the air up into the engine but i havent seen that result, but to answer ur question it can be replaced

Yes, air dam, I couldn't remember the word.

I busted them on my 99 GA SE...it was one piece on that car, and I cracked it in exactly the same spot on both sides...so it ended up just looking like 3 seperate pieces. lol On this car, it is 3 seperate pieces, and one is totally gone. :thumbsdow

I'm just hoping it's under warranty, I'm broke as a joke.

crazypontiac03
04-26-2004, 04:26 PM
if it not cover under warrant just bust the other two piece off. save some cash if u do that and drop ur car make sure u replace it, its a good indecator when ur about to bottom out better the plastic then ur baby

mr_eh
04-26-2004, 04:33 PM
as far as i can tell its completely useless, i paid 50$ at the dealer to get a new one just cause it looks nicer with it on, but without it you should be fine

kristin04gt
04-26-2004, 04:52 PM
as far as i can tell its completely useless, i paid 50$ at the dealer to get a new one just cause it looks nicer with it on, but without it you should be fine

That's why I want it replaced. Looks awful with 1/3 of it missing on one side...

SC/TGrandAm
04-26-2004, 04:57 PM
it has a use it directs air up to the radiator and cools your flux capacitor..

i dont know how you would break that off other than parking way to close to parking blocks or driving like an idiot?

kristin04gt
04-26-2004, 04:59 PM
it has a use it directs air up to the radiator and cools your flux capacitor..

i dont know how you would break that off other than parking way to close to parking blocks or driving like an idiot?

I'm super careful of parking too close to things so I don't bust them off. And I don't drive like an idiot. lol My parents will drive my car if they need to though, so one of them could have done it and neglected to tell me...

I didn't even notice it was missing til this morning. I was walking towards my car to go to work, and was like, "Woah, what the :rage: ???"

mr_eh
04-26-2004, 05:26 PM
i hit a few curbs and one major one where i think i snapped it off was on a divider in the middle of no where, long story, it doesn't cool off anything i was watching my temp gauges before and after fixing it... no difference...

50$ at a dealer or go to gmpartsdirect and pay almost the same with shipping... the guy at the dealer was laughing cause he said he has had the same one in stock for 7 months and i was the first person to inquire about it and his assistant asked if he should order a new one and the other guy told him not to bother, what a boring story that turned out to be huh?

02gagt
04-26-2004, 06:20 PM
I paid $15 just for the part at the dealer for the corner section. It's also your inner wheel-well. I'm not all that technically inclined but managed to switch it in under 30 minutes. There are a couple of bolts, the rest plastic screws that pop off. The other option is to cut off the other side with a sharp knife (you can't just remove it because it's part of the wheel-well. That way you'll still have the long middle section - it will look like most other GM cars and that's the part under the radiator anyway.

AznGA
04-26-2004, 06:34 PM
It's not really hard to break those weak airdam pieces. One of mine is cracked because I used to park too close to curbs in front of me all time. You want those things under there. It helps direct air up to the radiator, and when those things make the scraping noise, you know when to stop so you don't go forward more to damage more $$ parts....

mr_eh
04-26-2004, 07:03 PM
the two end peices connect to the fender lining, the center peice is a radiator support

Panacea
04-26-2004, 09:17 PM
I think someone stole mine. It's gone, but where it attaches is in perfect condition. I think it's held on by bolts, and if I tore it off, I think where it attaches would be demolished as well.

zytherian
04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
I apparently have a similar problem with mine but, only my center piece is out of place on one side.... didnt hit a curb but I did however wack a few squirels (pesky lil creatures) purely by accident ofcourse!!!! :vomit:

Doctor Ouchie
05-01-2004, 10:17 AM
I hit a possum or something a couple nights ago, knocked one side off, fortunately it completely fell off in my driveway. The main center piece is all that came off for me and I can't see how it was attached, must of been a clip or something.

If I were you, I'd check out a junk yard or two, all N-body's should share the same front air dam.

And the main purpose of the airdam is lower the amount of airflow under the car. It helps the aero coefficient and helps prevent damage to the underbody of the car.

IAM4U2NV
05-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I actually broke driver side piece pulling into a car wash last year. It cost me about $50 or so also to get it replaced. It just didnt look right leaving it off.

MaceDew
05-03-2004, 02:26 PM
"Broke off" the middle piece on mine like 2 years ago. Running temp on the car was the same after as it was before. I just painted it gloss black and put it back on. JB weld and a couple of machine screws painted to match. Looks like new.

Broke'97GAowner
05-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Go to a junk yard, get down on your knees with a ratchet, and take a new one, cost me 3 dollars.

Cyrix
05-04-2004, 08:05 PM
yeah, both of mine broke off, i went to a junkyard and got new ones

carsarecool
05-07-2004, 06:20 AM
flux capacitor? lol yeah, i think your right marty mcfly

Sleepwalkr
05-07-2004, 08:05 PM
the two end peices connect to the fender lining, the center peice is a radiator support

Its amazing to me that most people don't know this.

If your left side breaks off, then you have 3 options: Break off the right side so it matches, but looks silly.......... remove the right side & the center piece (radiator support) so it matches and doesn't look silly, but then you lose your radiator support, and I do not recommend that........or replace it because it is part of the fender liner/splash shield, then it looks best and achieves what your cars designers were going for and EVERYBODY'S HAPPY!!!

brim
05-08-2004, 09:59 PM
lost it on my alero as well, honestly don't even remember if it was before or after i bought the car, just noticed it one day out of nowhere.

The middle, gone completely, I think my pass, side is intact, the driver side is missing a chunk where it connected to the middle

junkyard it is

I looked to disconnect it all, then realized that the sides tied into the lining, bummer heh, razor knife if I don't get out to the junkyard, might as well make the sides stylish :jackson