2001 G/A GT 3.4L Performance Problems :(..Help!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2001 G/A GT 3.4L Performance Problems :(..Help!!

AtlasEngr
04-28-2004, 12:52 PM
I've noticed for a while that my Grand AM 3.4 GT has been having trouble while attempting to pass another car or just plain flooring the gas pedal. I recently changed the Tranny fluid, throttle position sensor, and the spark plug wires & plugs. When I floor the car or even at around 80%, to pass a car, the car starts to accelerate but then as it gets up in the RPMs I have to lift in order to be able to get that gear to kick into the next. Man, I feel like taking those "GT" decals off. I mean, the car has been running so damn crappy when I step on it that it makes me belive that the 1991 Geo Metro I had bought for $150.00 to go fishing ran a lot better!

Can someone let me in on this mystery.

Thanks,

Pablo.

excitement
04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
When was the last time you had the fuel system serviced? Also, it sounds like your TPS may need to be looked at again.

2Dambad
04-28-2004, 01:34 PM
I've noticed for a while that my Grand AM 3.4 GT has been having trouble while attempting to pass another car or just plain flooring the gas pedal. I recently changed the Tranny fluid, throttle position sensor, and the spark plug wires & plugs. When I floor the car or even at around 80%, to pass a car, the car starts to accelerate but then as it gets up in the RPMs I have to lift in order to be able to get that gear to kick into the next. Man, I feel like taking those "GT" decals off. I mean, the car has been running so damn crappy when I step on it that it makes me belive that the 1991 Geo Metro I had bought for $150.00 to go fishing ran a lot better!

Can someone let me in on this mystery.

Thanks,

Pablo.
Maybe its just me, but it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to do. When you floor it, or accelerate hard, the tranny is supposed to kick down into the next lower gear to provide the acceleration. If you held it to the floor, it would shift into the next higher gear when the engine reaches a certain speed. When you let off, the tranny is going into that higher gear.

AtlasEngr
04-28-2004, 02:30 PM
It has a new fuel pump assembly from GM that I installed about 3 months ago. It also has a new WIX fuel filter. The TPS is a new Borg Warner item - 3 months old.

On the other note. When you slam on the gas to pass a car, any car will go up to its designated redline and shift into the next gear by itself. On my car, I have to let go of the gas pedal in order for the car to get out of that gear that I had been revving in.

I know this is not normal. I just don't know why the car is doing this. I tried to pass a car the other day and I was not able to do it in time to avoid a head on collision. I actually had to let go off the gas and get in the back of the car that I was trying to pass. YOU TELL ME WHETHER THIS IS PATHETIC!

I thought I had read something a while back about a transmission sensor that kind of contributes to these systems.

Hope someone can nail this problem down for me.
Thanks,
Pablo.

AtlasEngr
04-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Anymore Feedback? :boogie:

Kdawg207
04-29-2004, 10:23 AM
could be the TPS..mine was bad one time.....once i replaced it it all got better

just an idea

AtlasEngr
04-29-2004, 10:24 AM
I already replaced that about 3 months ago.

Kdawg207
04-29-2004, 10:25 AM
i know....i had my TPS from casper for 2 weeks and it went

then once i got another one it was fine