Exhaust Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Questions

BadBowtie
04-29-2004, 02:55 PM
Greetings all!
Sadly, I'm not a GA owner...but I do admire these cars. I'm here b/c a friend recently purchased a 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe (white in color)..with around 50K miles on it. I think he got it for around $7,500 or so.

I think I'm a negative influence on him b/c he already wants to mod the car lol
:slayer
Anyways...I need to know how the exhaust is set up on these cars. Do they come with dual mufflers, a single muffler with a "y" split...or simply a Camaro style 'crossflow' muffler where the exhust from the car comes in...and the muffler has two outlets.
Any/all help is appreciated. I also need to know what size the stock pipe is. I'm guessing 2.00-2.25? If this is the case..would a normal Flowmaster 80 series muffler do the trick?

If not, he wants to go with Flowmaster 40's (same thing I have on my car)..what size inlet/outlet would he need..and would he need an offset or straight inlet and an offset or straight outlet.

Sorry for all the questions from the new guy lol. Nice looking site.
I look forward to more time here. :slayer

Slim
04-29-2004, 02:59 PM
The Grand Am comes stock with a "crossflow" style muffler. When going with aftermarket exhaust, your friend can go dual or crossflow style, the choice is his. Here's a good link with a tonne of information in it...

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8109

BadBowtie
04-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply and the information. We'll order an 80 series tonight with a 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out Also, gorgeous car and good color choice. Just finished checking your cardomain page. You're more than welcome to check mine out if you'd like.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/matthewschram

Thanks again!

::Edit:: Ordered the Flowmaster 80 with the 2.5 in and dual 2.5 out. It was originally around $81 shipped..but we opted for next day air so we'll have it tomorrow. It was $101.85 after all was said and done. It'll be here sometime tomorrow and the GAGT will be purring like a ticked off kitten Saturday. :slayer :slayer :slayer

02andahalfgt
04-29-2004, 03:40 PM
Hey man, bad ass Monte! I love the current body style of Monte Carlos :slayer

BadBowtie
04-29-2004, 03:42 PM
Thank ya! They've got some nice body lines...just wish they had a bit more balls. That'll change in time thou...as soon as I finish up college and actually make money....can we say Centrifugal Super Charger from ZZP? :slayer :slayer

Slim
04-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah... Nice ride. :thumbs: I tossed around the idea of getting a Monte, but my dealer gave me a sweet deal on my GA. :)

BTW: Black > all other car colours. :D

BadBowtie
04-29-2004, 03:48 PM
I'd recommend a monte to anyone that wants a 3,395 lb underpowered land yacht. At least GAGT's have good power for the size/weight of the car. They have the same motor as the Monte LS...my friend's 99GT will give the SS pure hell :(

02andahalfgt
04-29-2004, 04:16 PM
BTW: Black > all other car colours. :D

This is very true... :cool:

Monte Carlos are very underpowered, you'd think GM would give them balls since they represent the companies entry in NASCAR. Even though the two have absolutely nothing in common lol. But yeah, a supercharger will really help you out :slayer

Slim
04-29-2004, 04:23 PM
This is very true... :cool:

Monte Carlos are very underpowered, you'd think GM would give them balls since they represent the companies entry in NASCAR. Even though the two have absolutely nothing in common lol. But yeah, a supercharger will really help you out :slayer

Well, the latest verions of the SS can be had with the Series II blown 3800. :D Not too bad for a car it's size....

methos
05-01-2004, 06:43 PM
wait, just so i understand correctly... my GAGT will beat my brother's monte ss? ive been wondering about this. since he got his new ss...he's been bragging that he can beat me, but we've never really raced yet.

BadBowtie
05-01-2004, 06:44 PM
your car might not beat his..but I can tell you it'll run close enough with him to take some wind out of his sails. UNLESS he has a 2004 Supercharged SS...those have 240 hp and 280 torque..if that's the case..don't mess with him lol

methos
05-01-2004, 06:55 PM
he's is just a '01 ss. i know its pretty quick, but i dont think he knows how to drive it "properly". u know that certain edge that we racers have. u just know how and when to push a car at certain times.

BadBowtie
05-01-2004, 07:44 PM
run him...should give him fits :D