interior paint question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : interior paint question

tonmarchelli
04-29-2004, 05:59 PM
ive got my interior painted and the area on my stereo bezel where the keys are there are little tiny chips in the paint. i know its caused by the keys banging against the paint while i drive. but is there any way to prevent that? i put 4 coats of clear on there and it didnt seem to help. should i put more clear on there or are there other paints that can take the constant banging of the keys. thanks for the input.
Tony

schizm99
04-29-2004, 08:20 PM
1 Car, 1 Key

SC/TGrandAm
04-29-2004, 08:23 PM
its probably the wing, all that downforce causes the keys to jingle.

No paint is key resistant, try multiple coats and good paint next time.

JohnnyB4439
04-29-2004, 09:07 PM
prep prep prep! the most important *key*(get it? key? lol) yeahh anyways, make you sure clean the plastic very very good scrub down with soap and water for awhile then use some rubbing alcohol. Make sure everything is totally dry, then get some good paint thats made for plastics. I went to a auto paint shop and got some by some company called SEM. 9 bucks a can, but it was worth it. Follow there instructions exactly dont half ass it. Then get a good clear coat to go on top. Make sure you put many thin coats on of each. And wait a good couple days before you put them back in. Also another thing to consider is make sure you spray in a non humid enviorment and when its not cold. I did mine over a year ago and everything is still perfect no stratches no chips. Just remember its all in how you prep it. bad prep bad results. hope this helps.

Sleepwalkr
04-29-2004, 09:12 PM
1 Car, 1 Key

I agree. Take some crap off your keychain dude. :)
I've had mine painted for over 2 years now...... no nicks or scratches.

AznGA
04-29-2004, 09:14 PM
If you have huge keys, they will chip it.

tonmarchelli
04-29-2004, 10:13 PM
its probably the wing, all that downforce causes the keys to jingle.

thanks but i wasnt asking for your opinon on the styling of my car.

eveybody else thanks for the help, its not HUGE chips that have come out, just little tiny nicks, i probably will lower the number of keys i use when i drive the car.

nomojo
04-29-2004, 11:32 PM
thanks but i wasnt asking for your opinon on the styling of my car.

eveybody else thanks for the help, its not HUGE chips that have come out, just little tiny nicks, i probably will lower the number of keys i use when i drive the car.

On my 99 i had painted that radio fascia which incldues the key ring area that you're talking about.

I didnt really pay any attention to what the heck kinda paint it was when I was in the store buying it. It was canary yellow (hey, listen, seemed like a good idea at the time, my 03 is stock :)) . As it turns out, it ended up that I grabbed Wheelbarrow Paint.

I didnt properly strip the thing either , so it took like 7 coats (paint, sand off missed silicone from all the interior waxes that had built up), repaint.. Anyways, the moral of the story is I had it like that for a little over a year and it didnt chip, and i had like 200 pounds worth of keys bashing into it all the time. Maybe wheelbarrow paint is stronger stuff? who knows. Anyways, the finish it looked awesome and held up nicely.

cyaz

nomojo
04-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Hey,

I just checked out your car @ cardomain..

The spoiler aint my cup of tea, but who cares what I think, right? It's your car, not mine, and what matters is that you're pleased with it.

Now, the reason for this post: Compliment:

I really like the interior red accent you did on the fascia and the center console, and on the door ctls, etc.. Its one of the few times I've seen it done where it was done in such a way that I didnt sit back and scream in horror. It really looks good.

cheers.

Hexx
04-30-2004, 07:41 AM
My radio bezel is fine with my keys (yes keys). They hit all the time. I used 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of clear coat. The bezel is perfect (this is the 2nd time I paint it though). Make sure the surface is rough enough before painting. I need to redo my passenger side door handle trim because it is chipping.....reason why? Because it wasn't prepped right.

tenspeed
04-30-2004, 09:20 AM
should i put more clear on there or are there other paints that can take the constant banging of the keys. thanks for the input.
Tony

Instead of paint, you could try to put clear vinyl over the small area that your keys hit. Something like contact paper or thicker clear tape, not scotch tape.

tonmarchelli
04-30-2004, 10:19 AM
Instead of paint, you could try to put clear vinyl over the small area that your keys hit. Something like contact paper or thicker clear tape, not scotch tape.

thats a pretty good idea, i might have to try that.

tonmarchelli
04-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Hey,

I just checked out your car @ cardomain..

The spoiler aint my cup of tea, but who cares what I think, right? It's your car, not mine, and what matters is that you're pleased with it.

Now, the reason for this post: Compliment:

I really like the interior red accent you did on the fascia and the center console, and on the door ctls, etc.. Its one of the few times I've seen it done where it was done in such a way that I didnt sit back and scream in horror. It really looks good.

cheers.

thanks for the compliment, im really happy with it and i guess i didnt do too bad considering it was my first time. and im kind of getting tired of the wing, it was cool at first but the guy painted it really bad, im thinking about changing it back to stock or getting a SC/T or *** Mid wing on there, but money is pretty tight, im gonna wait until i get the front end of the body kit im gonna buy on there, then ill see how it looks stock or with the wing.