just bought used '03 GAGT silver coupe, have a few ?'s. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : just bought used '03 GAGT silver coupe, have a few ?'s.

Joe31956
05-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Bought a used 2003 Grand AM GT silver coupe with 30,000 mi on it at a car dealership. Whoever had it before me must have been a salesman type person because according to the sticker in the driver's door the vehicle was manufactured in Feb '03. You can't tell it from a new one, very very clean. There was one small ding in the area where it says PONTIAC in the front.

I do have a few concerns that I hope someone knowledgeable can help me with.

First off, just about everytime I use the brakes, I can hear what I guess is the ABS system working. It's very loud though. Normally I wouldnt notice something like that because I am hard of hearing. I dont even hear the turn signals clicking. But the brake noise I hear. Should that be so pronounced?

Second, I am having what I think is a problem with stepping on accelerator to downshift if I need more power to pass or a bit more oomph when climbing a hill. I have to go back and forth on a hilly 5-mi mountain highway road every day. If there is no traffic, most times I can get up the hill without a problem by staying in 3rd gear. Today there was a ton of traffic and I got behind a truck that I couldnt pass right away on a hill. When I got my chance to go around it, I pushed pedal all the way down. There was a bit of a delay and then it REALLY revved up, say to about 5000 RPM then almost immediately shifted back to normal gear even though I still had foot down on pedal. I was scared to hear that rev up that high. And for as much noise as it made, the car didnt go all that much faster. Later in the day I made another trip on the same road. This time instead of pushing pedal all the way down I went maybe half-way. This time the transmission shifted and went up to around 4000 RPM and stayed in the same gear until I let up on the pedal a short time later. I still dont think this is working correctly. One other time I heard the engine downshift and this time the engine was making lots of noise but it wasnt increasing speed immediately.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I just bought the car on 4/28/04. E-mails are welcome to Joe31956@aol.com. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I am a bit disappointed at the moment. Sometimes acceleration from a start is not as good as it should be also. I traded in an 04 Grand Prix GT1 which I do NOT recommend to anyone. That was the worst car I ever had and Ive had quite a few.

Joe

nomojo
05-02-2004, 07:42 PM
Bought a used 2003 Grand AM GT silver coupe with 30,000 mi on it at a car dealership. Whoever had it before me must have been a salesman type person because according to the sticker in the driver's door the vehicle was manufactured in Feb '03. You can't tell it from a new one, very very clean. There was one small ding in the area where it says PONTIAC in the front.

I do have a few concerns that I hope someone knowledgeable can help me with.

First off, just about everytime I use the brakes, I can hear what I guess is the ABS system working. It's very loud though. Normally I wouldnt notice something like that because I am hard of hearing. I dont even hear the turn signals clicking. But the brake noise I hear. Should that be so pronounced?

Second, I am having what I think is a problem with stepping on accelerator to downshift if I need more power to pass or a bit more oomph when climbing a hill. I have to go back and forth on a hilly 5-mi mountain highway road every day. If there is no traffic, most times I can get up the hill without a problem by staying in 3rd gear. Today there was a ton of traffic and I got behind a truck that I couldnt pass right away on a hill. When I got my chance to go around it, I pushed pedal all the way down. There was a bit of a delay and then it REALLY revved up, say to about 5000 RPM then almost immediately shifted back to normal gear even though I still had foot down on pedal. I was scared to hear that rev up that high. And for as much noise as it made, the car didnt go all that much faster. Later in the day I made another trip on the same road. This time instead of pushing pedal all the way down I went maybe half-way. This time the transmission shifted and went up to around 4000 RPM and stayed in the same gear until I let up on the pedal a short time later. I still dont think this is working correctly. One other time I heard the engine downshift and this time the engine was making lots of noise but it wasnt increasing speed immediately.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I just bought the car on 4/28/04. E-mails are welcome to Joe31956@aol.com. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me. I am a bit disappointed at the moment. Sometimes acceleration from a start is not as good as it should be also. I traded in an 04 Grand Prix GT1 which I do NOT recommend to anyone. That was the worst car I ever had and Ive had quite a few.

Joe

hey

let me start by saying, if you have concerns of this type, I would go talk to the delerships service dept, regardless of warranty; if you feel there is a problem with the accellerator & brakes, go get them checked.

That said. A) No, I dont think your brakes should make any noise. Get them checked by a professional. If you're slamming the brakes on ice or rain or something and making the car skid, the ABS will engage, and its fairly loud, but it shouldnt be engaging ABS under regular braking.

B) the way you have described the accelleration sounds normal; Thats not to say it is , but from your description, sounds to me like its working as designed... but like I said, get it checked. go for a testdrive with the mechanic, that wont cost a thing, and they can tell you for sure. I just drive a GAGT, im not a mechanic.
The Redline shift is just under 6000, depending what gear your in. If you floored it, and it upshifted and was revving at 5000, and you kept it floored, its not gonna be long until the transmission re-downshifts back into fourth (because, again, you're near the shift point). Also, if its climbing a hill and it had to upshift into 3rd from 4th because you floored it, and its revving 5000 RPM's, theres not gonna be that much power kicking around (depending at what speed you're going) to make you go MACH 3, so I wouldnt expect the accelleration to be spectacular. Your description of flooring it and having it upshift and be running at 4000, and stay in that gear while floored, also makes sense, because its not near the shift point.

The GAGT shifts sharply, because its 'sportier', and thats usually what buyers of the GAGT like (when you floor it, its sharp enough to jolt you alot of the time, despite its farily modest 170 HP).

In short, and to repeat for the umpteenth (is that a word?) time, get it checked by a pro; you dont want to be 'wondering' about your brakes and your accellerator, those are kind of important.

Hope that helps.

PS. My apologizes if I have the term up-shift and down-shift backwards. I always screw that up.

mr03SCT
05-04-2004, 05:41 AM
I would all GM cars accelerator paddle is harder to push down compared to other cars but they give a great kick which is the fun part.

Vintalage
05-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Yep, what you've described sounds normal to me. If your going 33mph or less in 2nd gear and you floor it, expect the car to downshift. It does this to gain acceleration. The problem with the Grand am is it has nice low end torque, but it losses steam when the engine is revving from approx. 3800 - redline. This is especially noticable when you are merging on the highway and then floor it. It's like it takes forever to accelerate and you wonder where all the power went.