Explain How To Change Spark Plugs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Explain How To Change Spark Plugs

nascargirly
05-04-2004, 01:49 PM
could someone out there please explain TO A GIRL how to change spark plugs? I have a 2000 Grand Am GT with 54k miles. Also, is it worth the trouble? what difference do you see?

Thanks all.

Kdawg207
05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
At 54k miles i would change em.

The hardest part really is just reaching the rear three.
But to put it simply. un hook the wires...remembering which number belongs where...make a drawing.

just remove the spark plugs using a socket wrench with spark plug attachment

replace with new plugs...being very careful to thread them correctly.
tighten down and replace boots from wires....

I am sure someone else with more time will give you a 10 page thesis

ps *welcome*

asepgrad98
05-04-2004, 04:18 PM
you may not want to try to change the plugs yourself if you dont know what your doin, the heads are very exspensive to replace.

mfuller
05-04-2004, 05:25 PM
The first thing to remember is only change plugs on a cold engine, or you can risk damaging the cylinder heads. Disconnect the battery, and remove the spark plug wires from the plugs (pull the boot, not the wire). A slight turning of the boot may aid removal; be sure to keep the wires in order. Use a socket to remove each spark plug from the cylinder head. Check for oil or black soot, which may indicate an engine problem. Check the gap of the new plugs before installing; the recommended gap is .060" - you can get a simple gapping tool at any auto store. Thread each new plug into the cylinder head, being extremely careful not to cross-thread them. Snug them down; do not over-tighten. Re-attach the plug wires until you hear them snap on. Reconnect the battery and drive.

nascargirly
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
THANKS GUYS!!
I'll work on it this weekend!! Thanks for the advice. I love coming to this website.

slick_willy182
05-05-2004, 04:53 PM
just another question....do you guys notice a difference with different spark plugs on? and if you do...what are the ones you recommend?