Deciding on extended warranty [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on extended warranty

Jagey
05-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Well, I have a 2002 and the warranty expires this year. So far I havn't gotten any of the common things, like the warped rotors or the leaking head gasket or any of the other stupid Grand Am occurances. However, I have only put on 13,000 miles since I bought it in November 2001. The extended warranty for another 3 years is about 1800 bucks CDN, is it worth it or should nothing technically go wrong?

GTspeed
05-05-2004, 10:32 PM
depends. how long u wanna keep the car for? if awhile, and not planning on no big mods like superchargers or nothing, i'd say get it. i've got one, and its already paid for itself :D somethin's gonna happen eventually....

Jagey
05-05-2004, 10:51 PM
but 1800 bucks almosts seems as if I am basically pre-paying for future repairs. 1800 bucks is like a transmission rebuild almost.

videoman
05-05-2004, 11:54 PM
Well, the question you should ask yourself is. What would you feel comfortable doing? If you get minor problems that can easily be repaired would you feel ok taking it in for those? or If you had a large Major issue would you feel ok paying for it out of your own pocket?

Plus depends on which dealership you would like to purchase the warranty from, because many dealers do not permit any mods to the engines for extended, to where other will permit you alot of leeway. Ask and maybe even get things in writing.

Pontiac Ninja
05-05-2004, 11:55 PM
but 1800 bucks almosts seems as if I am basically pre-paying for future repairs. 1800 bucks is like a transmission rebuild almost.

Try having to replace the intake gaskets twice within 15,000 miles like some people on here have. That alone would pay for the extended warranty!! You know a few other things will go wrong within the 3 years. My clear coat started to peal for no damn reason, and it was fixed better then knew, I was EXTREMELY glad to have my extended warrant! You just never know. If you plan on keeping your car that long then go with it. Really check into your warranty I've heard some are better then others. Ask questions and make sure they aren't about to go bankrupt and they are reliable. I've heard som BAD stories about this in the past!! Search for it, I bet you will find some of what I'm talking about!! Our cars are to prone to these dumb problems unfortunately!!

But man they look GOOD, OWWW>> :jackson !!!

^^^^ Just had to add that!!! lol

nomojo
05-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Well, I have a 2002 and the warranty expires this year. So far I havn't gotten any of the common things, like the warped rotors or the leaking head gasket or any of the other stupid Grand Am occurances. However, I have only put on 13,000 miles since I bought it in November 2001. The extended warranty for another 3 years is about 1800 bucks CDN, is it worth it or should nothing technically go wrong?

Hey,

IMO, if you're keeping the car around, take the warranty. These cars look pretty, but are a piece of junk for reliability (less of course the drivetrain).

To give you an idea, an altenator for these cars is ~ 600 bucks CDN from the dealership. Bust your upper strut mounts a few times (~400 CDN each time if I recall correctly), have the intake manifold gasket replaced (~800 CDN) and have your rack and peanut steering unit replaced due to the fact that they used the wrong grease at GM when they designed them (morons) (~1800 CDN), and you've paid for the warranty a few times ;) And don't get me started on the calipers ;)

as far as I'm concerned, at the VERY least, your intake gasket WILL go, your alternator will go too, and next time you're in your car, gently rock the steering wheel back and forth (stop when it takes effort to turn it, then go the other direction and stop when it takes effort), and see if it clunks. If so, its either tie rod ends or the rack & peanut.

When I took the warranty on my 99 GA, it was the best thing i ever did with that car (other than get rid of it)

good luck.

SC/TGrandAm
05-06-2004, 02:42 AM
Not having a warranty on a GM product is like playing russian roulette. Not a wise decision.

action
05-06-2004, 09:29 AM
I'd definantly get the warranty. Under the factory warranty, I had virtually zero problems with my car. I got the extended powertrain warranty on the advise of my freinds and it was a good thing. So far I've had the intake manifold gasket go again (~$350), 2 x wheel bearings/ABS sensors (~$450 per job), tranny rebuilt (~$2500) and now I have another wheel bearing gone.

Its definantly worth the few $$$ for the package. You still get a replacement vechicle, and I only pay $100 deductable per service. So if you have 2 wheel bearings done at the same time, you still only pay one deductable.

john_ertw
05-06-2004, 01:01 PM
We have the extended warranty on our 1999 Olds Silhouette (same engine as the Grand Am V6). We got it a month before the original warranty expired because we had the coolant leak a few months earlier and figured if those idoits at the dealership screwed up, we'd be left with a big bill (it took them 4 tries to diaognoise what the problem was, and the last time we went in I had to tell them to look under the oil cap to see the sludge formed by the coolant and oil mixing). We got the GMPP (the best GM extended warranty) for a little over $2000CDN.

Since then we have used it a few times for fairly minor things(we had a brake caliper go, and an electrical problem with the lighting), but we have not made $2000 worth of repairs. To top it off, every time we had to get warranty work done, they charged us for little things that they shouldn't have, like a light bulb (which burned out because of the electrical problem and should have been covered).

Our 2002 Grand Am GT is in the same situation as you with the warranty almost up and we will not get an extended warranty. Every time we have had to get any work done at a dealership (and we have tried several - both Olds and Pontiaic dealers) it seems that we are not treated well. It doesn't matter if it's warranty work or not. The way I see it is that without a warranty we are free to get the work done where ever we feel comfortable.

Now if you had many problems in the first 3 years or have a really good relationship with your dealership, it's a different story and you may feel it's best to get the warranty.

I think the extended warranty is like an insurance package. If you use it for something major, it will easily pay for itself. But GM sells these things because they make more money on selling the package than they pay out in warranty claims. Chances are you will not use $1800 unless you have a lemon or bad luck (and based on the few number of miles you use, there are probably less chances of stuff going bad due to less wear.

thehemi
05-06-2004, 03:04 PM
My wife's extended warranty was already paid off
after we had 2 visits to the dealer to fix its ABS...
and we ended up pulling the sensors off anyways
because the dealer could not fix them! Damn ABS.

Some vehicles we have gotten by w/o ever needing
a warranty. Some need them. Are you mechanical?
If so, it might not be worth it. If not, yes, get one.

Jagey
05-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Well I do plan on keeping it for a number of years. And I am not mechanical whatsoever. But nothing has gone wrong so far and for 1800 bucks canadian? I don't understand how 1800 bucks worth of things can go wrong between the 23,000 kms i have now up to the 60,000 kms the extended warranty covers me for. My family owns a 1987 oldsmobile and a 1992 pontiac trans sport that didn't even need to use the factory warranty, let alone any extended warranty because nothing ever went wrong. It's a tough decision, but I have until November to decide. If the car starts acting stupid, I should probably buy it. If I actually read up on how crappy GM has gotten recently, I could have bought the stupid warranty and factored it into the 4 year financing and it would have seemed like nothing. Now I am stuck with an 1800 dollar lump sum which is much harder to come up with.

Jagey
05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
I'd definantly get the warranty. Under the factory warranty, I had virtually zero problems with my car. I got the extended powertrain warranty on the advise of my freinds and it was a good thing. So far I've had the intake manifold gasket go again (~$350), 2 x wheel bearings/ABS sensors (~$450 per job), tranny rebuilt (~$2500) and now I have another wheel bearing gone.

Its definantly worth the few $$$ for the package. You still get a replacement vechicle, and I only pay $100 deductable per service. So if you have 2 wheel bearings done at the same time, you still only pay one deductable.

for me apparantly the difference between 0 deductible and 100 deductible warranty was i think about 100 bucks in the total price

Jagey
05-06-2004, 11:19 PM
In addition to that, this new extended warranty would only cover me until 2007 and 60,000 kms (36,000 miles). What can possibly go wrong that costs more than 1800 bucks in such a limited amount of kilometers anyways?
My brother got an extended warranty on his Acura the other day, and the dealer said it would cover "everything the stock warranty does, bumper to bumper except wearable parts". A day later the tail lights started getting condensation in them, and the dealer refused to fix it, stating that "the seal around the tail lights is a wear and tear item. If it was the stock warranty they would replace it, but the fine print on the contract says that they don't have to replace the tail lights under extended warranty." The contract states a MILLION things they would replace, but the tail lights happen to NOT be on the list. We went back and canceled the extended warranty the same day.
If a dealer can make such stupid exceptions in the extended warranty not to repair things due to small inconsistancies in the contract, what is to say the same wouldn't happen to me? and for some reason I HIGHLY doubt the GM extended warranty covers EVERYTHING that the stock warranty did.

nomojo
05-07-2004, 08:29 PM
In addition to that, this new extended warranty would only cover me until 2007 and 60,000 kms (36,000 miles). What can possibly go wrong that costs more than 1800 bucks in such a limited amount of kilometers anyways?

Sounds like you already have your mind made up :)

Seriously, in my post I listed a number of things which almost certainly will go wrong with your car at some point, that easily cost over 1800 bucks. I paid 1800 bucks for my warranty on my 99, and it paid for itself almost 3 times.

If you don't want it (which it sounds like you don't), then don't get it :) From my experience though, its invaluable, but no one is twisting your arm :)

edit:
only 60,000 kms? the standard factory warranty covers you to 60,000/3 years. So unless you're over 3 years, then your extended warranty would be in addition to that, or unnecessary. I had alot of work done on my car at (just past) 60k, and 75k.

cheers

Zurge
05-07-2004, 08:38 PM
I got the GM MajorGaurd warranty and I ve had my car for like two years. So far I have had a cracked head, a couple lower intakes done, tailight board replaced, HVAC resistor fixed and a few other things. All in all im around $3000 in repairs that I would have had to pay for, but my warranty covered it. SO if you ask me my the 1800 dollars for the extended warranty isnt bad at all. Id get it.

Panacea
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
I got my extended warranty through my dealership. It was approx. 6 months after my warranty expired. $1500 for 5 yr. 100,000 miles. 0 Deductable. So far I've had about $2000 in parts & labor covered :thumbs:

Jagey
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Sounds like you already have your mind made up :)

Seriously, in my post I listed a number of things which almost certainly will go wrong with your car at some point, that easily cost over 1800 bucks. I paid 1800 bucks for my warranty on my 99, and it paid for itself almost 3 times.

If you don't want it (which it sounds like you don't), then don't get it :) From my experience though, its invaluable, but no one is twisting your arm :)

edit:
only 60,000 kms? the standard factory warranty covers you to 60,000/3 years. So unless you're over 3 years, then your extended warranty would be in addition to that, or unnecessary. I had alot of work done on my car at (just past) 60k, and 75k.

cheers

well apparantly this warranty by the dealer is an extra 3 years plus an additional 40,000 kms to whatever i currently have on the odometer. When I had the quote done, I had 20,000 kms on the odometer, so the lady added the 40,000 kms to it and said I would be covered until 2007 or 60,000 kms, whatever comes first. I know that I WANT the warranty, I am just stupid in that I should have worked it into the purchase financing of the vehicle on the first day. Now I am stuck with an 1800 dollar lump sum decision that is just much harder to make.

That does beg the question of whether a 1 or 2 year warranty exists, or maybe the minnimum extended warranty is 3 years?

nomojo
05-07-2004, 10:26 PM
well apparantly this warranty by the dealer is an extra 3 years plus an additional 40,000 kms to whatever i currently have on the odometer. When I had the quote done, I had 20,000 kms on the odometer, so the lady added the 40,000 kms to it and said I would be covered until 2007 or 60,000 kms, whatever comes first. I know that I WANT the warranty, I am just stupid in that I should have worked it into the purchase financing of the vehicle on the first day. Now I am stuck with an 1800 dollar lump sum decision that is just much harder to make.

That does beg the question of whether a 1 or 2 year warranty exists, or maybe the minnimum extended warranty is 3 years?

You can get multiple year warranties.

But what I'm a little confused on is, the GM factory warranty is 3 year / 60.. have you exceeded that? (the reason i ask is that you're saying you're paying for extended coverage to 60,000, and if your odometer is 20,000 and you're still covered by factory, why pay?)

Anyways, when I had an ext. warranty added I got an extra 4 years (i think)complete coverage (except on wear materials like brake pads) and it doubled the warranty (to 120,000 kms) (eg 60 factory 60 ext). I paid ~1800 when I picked up the car (used).

Hope that helps.

nomojo
05-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I got the GM MajorGaurd warranty and I ve had my car for like two years. So far I have had a cracked head, a couple lower intakes done, tailight board replaced, HVAC resistor fixed and a few other things. All in all im around $3000 in repairs that I would have had to pay for, but my warranty covered it. SO if you ask me my the 1800 dollars for the extended warranty isnt bad at all. Id get it.

Ahh yes, the HVAC resistor; forgot about that one :)

That'll break on you too at some point :)

Jagey
05-07-2004, 10:33 PM
You can get multiple year warranties.

But what I'm a little confused on is, the GM factory warranty is 3 year / 60.. have you exceeded that? (the reason i ask is that you're saying you're paying for extended coverage to 60,000, and if your odometer is 20,000 and you're still covered by factory, why pay?)

Anyways, when I had an ext. warranty added I got an extra 4 years (i think)complete coverage (except on wear materials like brake pads) and it doubled the warranty (to 120,000 kms) (eg 60 factory 60 ext). I paid ~1800 when I picked up the car (used).

Hope that helps.

well the warranty expires on november (the end of the 3rd year). Once the third year ends, it would be zero warranty, so the dealer is selling me an additional 3 years and up to 60,000 kms once again. I don't know, that's just the package the lady crunched out. With such little clicks on the odometer, I am basically paying only for extra time in years, rather than the total kilometer amount, so somehow I am saving money in there. I could also get 3 years and up to 80,000 kms if i wanted for a little over 2000 dollars, but there is no way in hell I would put that many kilometers in 3 years. I wouldn't even have 60,000 kms by the year 2007 at the current rate. But after all this talk about things breaking on grand ams, I think I am just going to get the warranty already. I'll just have to try REALLY hard to scrape up the money by November. And besides, If i decide to sell it maybe in 2 years, I can use the warranty thing as a selling point and charge someone up the a$$ for it, am I right?

nomojo
05-07-2004, 11:11 PM
well the warranty expires on november (the end of the 3rd year). Once the third year ends, it would be zero warranty, so the dealer is selling me an additional 3 years and up to 60,000 kms once again. I don't know, that's just the package the lady crunched out. With such little clicks on the odometer, I am basically paying only for extra time in years, rather than the total kilometer amount, so somehow I am saving money in there. I could also get 3 years and up to 80,000 kms if i wanted for a little over 2000 dollars, but there is no way in hell I would put that many kilometers in 3 years. I wouldn't even have 60,000 kms by the year 2007 at the current rate. But after all this talk about things breaking on grand ams, I think I am just going to get the warranty already. I'll just have to try REALLY hard to scrape up the money by November. And besides, If i decide to sell it maybe in 2 years, I can use the warranty thing as a selling point and charge someone up the a$$ for it, am I right?

If you want to do that, make sure the warranty is transferrable. My old warranty was non-transferrable.

Pre-60,000 i can see HVAC resistor, strut mounts if you're hard on the car, possibly power steering, and possibly head gasket. My drivers side caliper was toasted twice before 60k but it was a difficult job to get them to replace it so i didnt even bother (its 100 bucks for a rebuilt one + my time, so i figured screw it when the deductable was 50; that said, with all the trouble (they gave me the wrong side labeled as driver side) that i went through installing it, it would have been better having them do it... rant.. sorry.)

Depending on the severity, you could let the power steering clunk go, and the head gasket go (they usually start by only leaking a tiny tiny bit). If you plan on keeping it less than 60,000 kms i might be less inclined to take the warranty, because all of the GREAT GM engineering is designed to last JUST until the factory warranty expires :) hopefully they dont have a year-counter in there too :)

its a tough call man. When i got my 99 used from the dealer with 38,000k on it the warranty was 1800 to extend it to 120,000k/another 5 years, so i jumped all over it. glad i did.

for my '03 which was new, they wanted 900 bucks for 20,000 kms. I didnt bother because I'll get rid of the car around the time its warranty is going. That quality of that decision remains to be seen; im a little nevous about it with all the bad luck ive had (again, *sigh*) with the '03. (did i mention im tired of my car breaking?)

good luck

Jagey
05-08-2004, 09:08 AM
damn it, the decision just keeps getting harder by the second