My 99 GA SE sounds like a JET!!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My 99 GA SE sounds like a JET!!!!

99ondubz
05-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Howdey all!!!

First here is whats going on... its a 1999 Grand am SE with the 3400.

I just had the intake gasket replaced due to missing anti freeze...

once I got it back I had to replace the plugs cause my mechanic tore the boot on one of them so I was stumbling a bit fo about a week.

I now have a wierd noise... (I understand you cant diagnose noises over the web) I am hoping somone has had a similar problem....

When under load or acceleration it sounds like my tire is rubbing on the drivers side. Almost a loud wirring sound. Nothing is rubbing under there and it doesnt show up at idle. I did a Tranni fluid exchange and made no differance. It only shows up when the car is under load and its distinctly on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

It has progressivly gotten worse and I have just thrown an engine code and I will be pulling it durting my lunch.

anyone want to take a poke at it? I will post the codes later tonight.

action
05-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Sounds like a vaccum leak. Check all hoses to see that they're all connected and not torn. Also check the tubing for the intake to make sure there are no gaps at the joins or tears in the pipeing.

brim
05-06-2004, 07:31 PM
When under load or acceleration it sounds like my tire is rubbing on the drivers side. Almost a loud wirring sound. Nothing is rubbing under there and it doesnt show up at idle. I did a Tranni fluid exchange and made no differance. It only shows up when the car is under load and its distinctly on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

loud whirring sound? sure it's not a wheel bearing? At least that's what it sounds like you're describing to me.

RAPTOR
05-08-2004, 04:29 PM
I to have a 99 gt 3.4. mine was making that same sound,it was the front hub bearing,cost is about 200.00 if you have someone do it for you