help..................serious brake problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : help..................serious brake problems

n8sgr8
05-07-2004, 08:02 AM
About a week ago my brake pedals went to mush, you had to mash them all the way to the ground to get them to work and as of yesterday they quit working all together. My abs light is not on so usually that means that it isnt that serious of a problem. I have changed my pads rotors everything, i even went out and bought the book gm makes on how to do repairs, i followed the steps perfectly and my brakes still dont work. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you get it fixed? :jackson

PACE
05-07-2004, 08:13 AM
have you tried pumping the crap out of them to rebuild brake pressure? Did this happen while using the brakes really hard?

CoopGT
05-07-2004, 04:24 PM
First check your fluid level & if its low top it off then with the car in park & running step on the brake pedal . Afterwards with the car off look for brake fluid on the ground it sounds like you have a leak some where .

nomojo
05-07-2004, 07:11 PM
About a week ago my brake pedals went to mush, you had to mash them all the way to the ground to get them to work and as of yesterday they quit working all together. My abs light is not on so usually that means that it isnt that serious of a problem. I have changed my pads rotors everything, i even went out and bought the book gm makes on how to do repairs, i followed the steps perfectly and my brakes still dont work. Has this happened to anyone else and if so how did you get it fixed? :jackson

1) make sure your brake lines are properly connected, if you pulled them off or something
2) make sure you bleed the brakes if you've had the lines disconnected (eg. remove the air from the brake lines). this is a job made MUCH MUCH easier by a repair shop cuz they have a machine to do it.
3) if you replaced the calipers, and you put a left hand side one on the driver side, you wont be able to bleed the brakes properly and you'll never get it right.
4) assuming all of the above are not a problem or a concern, then Im betting your master cylinder is toasted.

when it comes to brake problems whereby your brakes arent working safely, I'm always a fan of taking it to an authorized dealer to have it diagnosed and fixed, cuz you really dont wanna crash your nice car.

cya