Passlock question for newbie... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Passlock question for newbie...

BULLITT
05-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Ive searched and searched on here with little or no results. My wife has a 99 Grand Am SE 2 door. with about 60,000 miles on it. The car is having starting problems. Once a couple of weeks ago, and this morning. The car will turn over and over and no fuel to start it....and yes the security light is flashing as soon as she puts the key in to start. She said about three weeks ago she was driving down the road and the security light came on and then went back off so she didnt think anything about it. It does have keyless entry from the factory but thats it. There has'nt been anything done to it at all. Completely stock. I unhooked the battery to reboot the ECU and waited about 2-3 minutes and it starts. So my question is what is this PASSLOCK? and or is this the problem? Is this a sensor or something I can fix on my own? I am a pretty good mechanic, do my own engine work, electrical etc...but thats usually on older classic cars. All this new stuff is kinda new to me but im learning. Can you all help any? Or is this going to cost me out the wazzo at the dealer? I want to fix it cheaply? Is there a cheap and easy fix to this? thanks...

nomojo
05-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Ive searched and searched on here with little or no results. My wife has a 99 Grand Am SE 2 door. with about 60,000 miles on it. The car is having starting problems. Once a couple of weeks ago, and this morning. The car will turn over and over and no fuel to start it....and yes the security light is flashing as soon as she puts the key in to start. She said about three weeks ago she was driving down the road and the security light came on and then went back off so she didnt think anything about it. It does have keyless entry from the factory but thats it. There has'nt been anything done to it at all. Completely stock. I unhooked the battery to reboot the ECU and waited about 2-3 minutes and it starts. So my question is what is this PASSLOCK? and or is this the problem? Is this a sensor or something I can fix on my own? I am a pretty good mechanic, do my own engine work, electrical etc...but thats usually on older classic cars. All this new stuff is kinda new to me but im learning. Can you all help any? Or is this going to cost me out the wazzo at the dealer? I want to fix it cheaply? Is there a cheap and easy fix to this? thanks...

AFAIK Passlock uses a hall-effect sensor in the ignition cylinder which causes a specific electronic resistance to occur when turned in normal operation. If the ignition cylinder gets damaged it screws up the resistance and the PCM decides to cut fuel under the assumption that the ignition key cylinder's been tampered with. And if you try to circumvent using the ignition cylinder to start the car, again, the resistance is missing so the PCM denies fuel to the car and it wont start.

The easiest way (eg least amount of meddling) is to replace the lock cylinder on your car.

hope that helps