Fuel Line / O Ring Problems - Please Help! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Line / O Ring Problems - Please Help!

MJSilver00
05-10-2004, 11:11 AM
If anyone could help with this I would really appreciate it. The other day my friend and I replaced the lower intake manifold gasket on my 00. Everything went fine until we put the engine back together and started it. Fuel started shooting everywhere out of the return line at the fuel rail! When we disconnected it again to see what was wrong we discovered that there was no O ring on the connector. I dont know where it went, or even what part of the connector it should go on (all the way at the end of the threads, or further toward the tip?). I called a few dealers looking for this O ring and they said the only way to get it for the return line, is to buy a whole new return like for $50. That seems like kind of a waste, so I called some parts stores and the only one that even carried O rings that can be used in fuel systems was napa, but they didnt have one that would fit anywhere on this connector. Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these and how it goes on? I see from searching here that other people have replaced just that ring, but no one mentioned where they got it from or what the actual size is. Also, is it best to replace my fuel injector O rings since I had the rail off?

Thanks for any help!

PACE
05-10-2004, 11:29 AM
I would think a hardware store would have rubber 0 rings..........

MJSilver00
05-10-2004, 11:38 AM
They do but as I understand it you have to use ones made of a different material if they are going in the fuel system because the gas will break down a regular rubber one.

Vince
05-10-2004, 09:22 PM
The same thing happened to me when I fixed my LIM leak. I installed it without the o-ring, didn't even know it had one. I happened to replace the injector o-rings while I was at it, and had several o-rings left over from the kit, so I used one of those. It goes almost at the tip. When you take it out, there's a gap like less then a quarter of on inch from the tip, the ring goes in there.

MJSilver00
05-11-2004, 07:01 AM
Yea I think I read your story when I was trying to figure out what happened. Also thanks to djrkd for posting his pics of the repair (http://www.grandampc.com/leak/) because after looking at those was when I saw where the o ring was supposed to go like you just described. For anyone with this same problem, I found out that most parts stores carry generic fuel rated (you have to get the ones that are fuel rated) o ring kits for like $10 that have all different sizes in them So while no one might have a part number for the specific o ring you need, you can probably just get one of these kits and match one up to your application. Anyway, I put everything back together and its not leaking anymore. Thanks for the help!

BTW: GM, what the hell. Telling customers that they have to buy a whole fuel line in order to get an o ring? come on.

jamcllw
05-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Holy poop dood the same exact thing happened to me this past weekend. I got lucky enough that my friend found the o-ring when I was leaving the dealer after hearing the bad news from them though.

kubiache
05-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Same thing happened to me doing the same LIM repair. Except mine drove 45 miles and sat overnight before it went. The leaking culprit actually turned out to be an injector o-ring, but when I took it all apart again, I found the return line o-ring was torn apart, too. Tim just picked up a fuel assembly o-ring set at the dealer for like $8 for me. I don't know what this $50 nonsense is.

MJSilver00
05-11-2004, 01:31 PM
now that ive heard that im gonna go get the injector o ring set. ive had that fuel rail in and out about 10 times now and ill bet mine leaks in the first week too if i dont replace them.

klobbs
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Anyone whos done this know if there's a way to get the fuel intake off without taking the whole UIM off? I put an oring on the fuel line but apparently it was too small?? The gasket set I got for my LIM came with about 40 different Orings so I had no idea which one to use. Thanks!

AaronGTR
07-18-2012, 04:22 PM
Nope, you have to take the upper off in order to get to the nut on the fuel line. Also you want to take off the nut holding the fuel lines to the stud down on the cylinder head. That allows you to pull the line straight out. That's the mistake most people make. They don't loosen everything and when they pull the line out it comes out on an angle and damages the o-ring or makes it fly off and get lost.

sugar ray
07-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Ha ha ha. Don't mean to laugh but your story brought back memories. 2 years back did my LIM and after putting it all back together same fuel leak. First went to a dealership. They had an "O" ring in stock that fit but I paid like $5 for it!! stupid!!

Went to put it on and it acted like a rubber band with tension once let go it flew down in my tranny area. I was choked!! Went to my autoparts store and they ended up having generic O rings. Found the correct size, came back home, went to put it on and same thing!! lost it in the tranny area no where to be found!! Went back to the autoparts store and got 5 of them!! This time got it on properly. The generic O ring worked just fine and is still sealed.

The following spring I pressure washed the engine and when the wand went near the tranny area 2 O rings flew up and stuck on my windshield. Amazing!! they had been there for over a year hiding somewhere on my tranny case when the pressure of the water spit them out. Well.....I guess you had to be there