Wierd Vibration [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Vibration

Zurge
05-10-2004, 06:11 PM
My car at Highway speeds like 65-80 area ive noticed that my car wil sometimes but not always shake really bad. Today it shook so bad that i thought my car was gonna raddle apart. Also today i noticed my RPMs jumped from 2300 @ 80mph which is what it normally runs at up to 3000 RPMs and the car slowed down to 75mph. By that time I took off my cruise control and slowed down to about 65mph and it still did it though not as bad. I got off at a exit opened the hood everything seemed ok and it was still really wierd. So I shut the car off and let it sit a minute and then started it again and it has worked well for the rest of the day. This has accured before but with no pattern and not as bad. It comes and goes. Any Ideas guys?

Zurge
05-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Can some one please help me out?

Hexx
05-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Umm....ask a mechanic.

Hehe jk, does it feel like your tires make it vibrate or the tranny?

Zurge
05-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Well my brake pedal gets real firm and when i press the brake at all the steering wheel shakes worst. Its mostly in my steering wheel, but I have had it, once, feel like my whole car was literally shaking. I take it no one else has had this problem? One more thing I ve noticed, my right brake/rotor is very hot and it smells like something is burning.

action
05-14-2004, 06:13 AM
Sounds like Warped front rotors. Replace them with decent aftermarket (just decent quality from a car parts place, not necessarily slotted or drilled) I picked up a set for $60 CAD (quantity 2) and they are great, 1 year, 32k kms and mo wear or warping.

Hexx
05-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Sounds like Warped front rotors. Replace them with decent aftermarket (just decent quality from a car parts place, not necessarily slotted or drilled) I picked up a set for $60 CAD (quantity 2) and they are great, 1 year, 32k kms and mo wear or warping.

Yeah I think the rotors are warped. Mine shakes and pulls to one side more than the other. I am trying to save up to get some powerslots.

[edit] Also, the reason why I think/know mine are warped is because you can feel the grooves in the rotor. It's an uneven wear.

action
05-14-2004, 09:49 AM
If there are groves in the rotor, they are very well worn. When rotors wear thin like that, tehy are more prone to warping. Likely they wore thin, then warped, in amy case, they should be replaced along with the pads. Don't forget to grease the slider pins to help promote more even wear of the pads.

Even new stock replacement rotors are decent. If you get 2 years out of them your doing good. I doubt you'll get more wear than that even with powerslots, especially given the price jump.

Hexx
05-14-2004, 11:19 AM
If there are groves in the rotor, they are very well worn. When rotors wear thin like that, tehy are more prone to warping. Likely they wore thin, then warped, in amy case, they should be replaced along with the pads. Don't forget to grease the slider pins to help promote more even wear of the pads.

Even new stock replacement rotors are decent. If you get 2 years out of them your doing good. I doubt you'll get more wear than that even with powerslots, especially given the price jump.

I have no clue what's on here for rotors. All I know is I have only driven the car 11K miles and the rotors were NEW (along with pads and tires) when I bought the car. Last fall (oct time). These must be cheap rotors/pads.

Yeah they got grooves...yay lol. Excuse to buy powerslots.

Zurge
05-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I have GM MAJORGUARD Extended Warranty. THANK GOD!
I took my car in and I guess the Torque converter/Tranny are bad. Dealer said they had this happen to another car a few months ago. ALso I know a guy who knew a guy that had a car shake and it was a torque converter. BIG $$$$. Glad I bought extended warranty oh and I forgot one thing warranty ends in less than a month. IM WAY LUCKY!

rjclapton
05-30-2004, 01:12 PM
My wife's car does this now... did they say exactly what was bad? I do not have an extended warranty - so I would only like to replace what is necessary.

I was hoping it was only the clutch solenoid. Any ideas?