coolant leak, dealer is crazy... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak, dealer is crazy...

Rata87
05-11-2004, 12:22 PM
They just replaced my intake manifold gaskets 2 months ago , after i have an overheating problem. now my coolant needs to be refilled constantly, but the dealer says the car has a leak on the heads and the head gasket needs to be replaced and maybe the heads and i was like wtf. the car is running good, there is no coolant and oil mixed, no overheating, so why the heads need to be replaced?!!!!
any ideas is this even posible, that my heads are damaged? btw he wants 1000dlls for just the gaskets , and if the heads are "needed" 3200 dlls.

Gt00
05-11-2004, 04:51 PM
They just replaced my intake manifold gaskets 2 months ago , after i have an overheating problem. now my coolant needs to be refilled constantly, but the dealer says the car has a leak on the heads and the head gasket needs to be replaced and maybe the heads and i was like wtf. the car is running good, there is no coolant and oil mixed, no overheating, so why the heads need to be replaced?!!!!
any ideas is this even posible, that my heads are damaged? btw he wants 1000dlls for just the gaskets , and if the heads are "needed" 3200 dlls.
If the head gaskets are leaking usually you would get white smoke from the exhaust because of the coolant being burned . I'd get the system pressure tested to find the leak , because you have one somewhere .

firecat
05-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Maybe it's leaking on the manifold gaskets again..i just got mine replaced and the mechanic said that they probably will start leaking again..like Gt00 said get a leak test done.

2002AmSE
05-11-2004, 06:37 PM
hmm, if you can't find any mixing with oil and none is coming out and smelling like trash from your exhaust, you need to check and see if there is a radiator leak or maybe its coming out of your overflow because of a bad pressure cap... My 2 cents

Rata87
05-12-2004, 04:09 PM
thx for the reply, yea it was the head gasket , it was leaking but to the outside between the gasket and the monoblock, the mechanic said, so know my car is in the shop and will be ready tommorrow for just 450 instead of the 1k the dealer wanted... anyway i was out of warranty.

firecat
05-13-2004, 03:06 AM
Rata87 do you have many miles on your car? I got around 115000 , i hope that this head gasket thing is not going to be another problem in the near future.

Rata87
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
just........37900km, 23500 miles...the problem comes from the overheating, not from the mileage i think.

Zurge
05-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I had my lower intake replaced a few times, under warranty, and it ended up being a cracked head which caused the gasket to leak. All those repairs were under warranty but the EST. for the Head and Head Gasket was about 1300 dollars.