Air Conditioner wont go off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner wont go off

Trancer
05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Ok this should have been an omen itself whenever I was sitting at the dealership and the vents kick on full blast for no reason. I mean the keys were inside the dealership, not even in the ignition. I bought the car, and it did it every once in a while and today, I had the a/c on notch 1 and then it kicked into full blast then shut off... did it again and now it wont go off at all. I have pulled like 5 fuses. Its been going for 2 hours and im about to go disconnect the battery. Whats up with my GT?

asepgrad98
05-12-2004, 06:05 PM
i would guess the blower speed switch

Trancer
05-12-2004, 10:01 PM
I disconnected the switch to the switch and it still kept blowing. I disconnected the battery before taking it up to the dealership and it quit so we will see if that fixed it.

action
05-13-2004, 09:00 AM
That's nuts, sounds like a big electrical problem. Could be in the BCM, I think the controls for HVAC go back to that.

Trancer
05-17-2004, 08:31 AM
Well I finally found out what the problem was. A friend of mine found out for me. There is a sensor in our vehicles air ducts that senses odor. If it senses odor the vents will kick on for 5 seconds and then shut off to get all the air out. So this is suppose to do this to keep fresh air in the system so you dont get a bad smell when you turn on the a/c or heater. This is all being done without the key. What happened to my car was that the sensor went bad. Got under the dash and disconnected it. Everything works fine except that it doesnt kick on by itself.

2002AmSE
05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
Interesting... I've never had it randomly turn on for 5 seconds before, and ive had it off for a few weeks one time and when i did end up turning it back on it was musty for a week or so until it aired out. Maybe mine is broke or they arent very sensitive or something, you would thing GM wouldn't pay to put something like that in there.

Dan00GPGT
05-19-2004, 09:06 AM
There is no odor switch.... do you really think your car can smell? You unplugged something but it was no odor switch.