installing security systems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : installing security systems

checkmate211ae
05-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Just wondering if anybody out here has installed a car alarm system. If anybody could help me out and tell me where I could find some schematics for a 01 Grand Am, that would be sweet, because I can't find any books. Maybe somebody has a hook up to a GM dealer that could help me out. Thanx

iceman
05-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I have... The wiring diagrams and BCM pinouts should be on these boards. Do your homework, then come back with questions and I'll be more than happy to help.

If you don't consider yourself experienced with electrical stuff in a car, I wouldn't do it without someone helping you if I were you.

nomojo
05-13-2004, 10:40 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11896

If you can find somewhere that you trust to do the install without doing a lousy job and destroying your wiring, pay for it to be done. it is WELL, WELL worth the money, because let me tell you it is a MAJOR PITA to do as Seth stated.

also, if you get the alarm thats made for the car i think Viper manufactures it for GM (it uses the same 4 port accessory plug, thats why im assuming this), you dont need to worry about all the additional relays for locks etc, as its inside the unit. You still need to chopy chopy the harness tho.

cheers

SC/TGrandAm
05-13-2004, 11:59 PM
an alarm is only as good as the installer, therefore meaning if you dont know what the fock your doing take it to somebody that does for god sakes.

checkmate211ae
05-14-2004, 12:53 AM
Well, considering I am a Second Class Aviation Electrician (E-5) on F-14A Tomcats, I figure its not a hard job at all. Repairing burnt wire bundles dealing with capton wiring as what is in most Alpha models, I've become pretty good at reading schematics. Some of the wiring in my car is aviation grade anyway because its better quality, costs more, but its worth it.