Getting Air Out of Coolant System [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Getting Air Out of Coolant System

carpediem1230
05-17-2004, 11:37 AM
I've got massive pockets of air in the coolant system, dealer didn't get them out after replacing the LIM gasket. whats the best way to get them out? How exactly does the bleed valve work?

mfuller
05-17-2004, 11:42 AM
What I've done in the past is run the engine with the heater on full blast and the coolant reservior cap off. As the heat starts flowing and the thermostat opens to cool the engine, air bubbles should exit through the open coolant reservior. Add coolant as necessary.
You can also loosen the bleed screw on top of the water pump until a steady stream of coolant flows out, but I've never done it.

carpediem1230
05-17-2004, 11:49 AM
when i let the car run with the reservoire cap off, coolant comes out over the top of the bottle... so i turn the car off, and squeeze the air out of the hoses... but after sitting a while, (5 hours +) its the same old thing... i think it's getting better though. for this bleed valve, is it just a screw that you screw out?

action
05-18-2004, 05:33 AM
Why don't you just have the dealer fininsh the job they started??? Any good dealer should be able to take 10 minuites and do it while you wait.

carpediem1230
05-18-2004, 05:47 AM
the key word there was good... anyways, they think there might be a head gasket leak now and thats why i keep losing coolant.

carpediem1230
05-18-2004, 04:02 PM
well, it was a head gasket leak. kinda sucky, the LIM gasket just got replaced on thursday... today is tuesday haha!! the good news is the dealer is gonna work with me on a price.