Keyless Remote Compatibility? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Keyless Remote Compatibility?

Doctor Ouchie
05-17-2004, 01:31 PM
My searching yielded nothing relevant, so sorry if this is a repost.

I broke the little battery connection in the original keyless entry remote for my 99 GAGT and since I suck at soldering I couldn't get it working again.

Now I've got two remotes, one from an '04 Alero and another one some gave me (newer than the original remote).

My original remote has the following on the back:
GM/UTA 25678792

The others have the following:
GM/LEAR 25695954 (with a large "1" near the bottom)
GM/LEAR 25695955 (with a large "2" near the bottom)

Will either of those remotes work? I've read that many of the keyless entry systems between model years are incompatible with one another. Since 99's need a scan tool to program them, I don't want to waste time going to the dealership for nothing. Thanks in advance :boogie:

nomojo
05-17-2004, 03:20 PM
while im not entirely sure, im guessing posting those ID's for your keyless was a poor idea ;)

e2helper
05-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Actually they are just part numbers so no biggie

fschambe
05-17-2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah, go to the dealer and have them reprogram them. OR if you want to try it yourself you can search on here for instructions, it's pretty simple but you have to have all remotes at hand when programming cause it erases non reprogrammed remotes.

nomojo
05-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Actually they are just part numbers so no biggie

really? heh. ok, well than disregard my post :)

I thought it would have a unique tranceiver ID in there or something

I dont know if u can get an alero remote to do so (i imagine you could since its the same car basically), but as far as getting the remotes to re-learn, if you pop the back cover off the keyfob it says to go up to the car and press and hold the lock button (i think) for a length of time to get it to re-sync.. pop the cover & check for sure.

EDIT: come to think of it, the keyfob has to be linked to the car *somehow* otherwise anybody with a GM keyfob could bust into your car. Mayhaps you have to go to the dealer and have the BCM reprogrammed?

I'm outta my element on this one, im shutting up now :)

cheers

action
05-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Yes, they all have their own ESN, the dealer can program your car with the correct ESN so the remote will work

Doctor Ouchie
05-18-2004, 07:33 PM
I just read in another thread that while the keyfobs may look alike, they won't be compatible. Guess I'll head up there again tommorow. First time I went to get it programmed I forgot to put the battery back in.

And 99 Grand Am's need a scan tool to program the remotes. Sucks.

Y2KGA
05-18-2004, 07:57 PM
try this link, I used the instructions in here to program a new remote for my 2000 with part number 25678792.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8260