Rattling in belt area.....WTF? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rattling in belt area.....WTF?

coupe
05-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Okay i have this rattling coming from my belt area. Simple as that. I hear it most at low rpms and at idle. I think i only hear it in those instances becuase my car is loud when exelerating and i cant hear myself think let alone a rattle. But this is the strange part. It stops if i turn on the AC/heater (either one) and only on the windshield defrost or windshield/floor setting. So WTF could it be?
Its one horribly nasty embarasing sound.

Crisco
05-17-2004, 02:55 PM
:wtf :confused:

95-GT
05-17-2004, 02:58 PM
Probley the AC pump going back. The bearings

kubiache
05-17-2004, 03:28 PM
Probley the AC pump going back. The bearings

Close. Compressor clutch bearings. If it goes away when you turn the AC on, that's how you can tell.

95-GT
05-17-2004, 04:09 PM
Thats what I was looking for. Just couldnt spit it out. lol. Spray some white lithium grease into the front of the AC clutch and see if it stops then. If it doesm then thats ur problem. New AC pump!

coupe
05-17-2004, 05:28 PM
I think this has been going on all winter but never noticed becuase my heater was always on. Call me an idiot but what exactly is the AC clutch? This sucks, i dont even use my AC. How much is a new AC pump gonna cost me?

kubiache
05-17-2004, 05:31 PM
The bearings in the clutch allow the compressor to rotate freely when it's not engaged. Once you turn the AC on, the clutch is pulled in tight against the compressor and off of the bearings...that's why it goes away when you turn it on.

coupe
05-17-2004, 05:36 PM
So my options are a new AC pump? or just grease it?

coupe
05-17-2004, 05:39 PM
Oh yeah and where is it? What am i lookin for?

tenspeed
05-17-2004, 06:20 PM
They sell one at www.rockauto.com

I assume that they can be replaced. Mine (on my '96 Olds) has been making noise for a couple of years.

coupe
05-17-2004, 06:28 PM
So do i need to replace the clutch or the whole assembly? Im so confused. I dont know what to do. Im seriously confused.

coupe
05-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Would it be possible to get a shorter belt and bypass the damn thing all together? Would this cause problems or is it even possible? I dont even use my A/C, i just care about heat, I have to have that.

kubiache
05-18-2004, 06:00 PM
AC = defog, too. You won't want to be without that in the winter.

My experience with having a compressor apart is very limited, but I think most places will tell you to just replace the entire compressor, though I'm sure if you went about it yourself, you can just get the bearings....but I'm not sure.

coupe
05-18-2004, 06:17 PM
What i really need to know is if this will cuase any problems if i dont get it fixed. I really dont want to replace the entire compresser becuase it is working fine. Its just the clutch and bearings that are fried.....i think. I know i can get the clutch and what not for very cheap but i think i have to depressurize the compresser and then i have to have it filled again when im done. I cant imagine that being cheap.

I NEED DHP NOT A/C!

This sucks the big one. At least i can make the sound go away by turning on the A/C.....but who knows how long that will last.

tenspeed
05-18-2004, 08:35 PM
I know i can get the clutch and what not for very cheap but i think i have to depressurize the compresser and then i have to have it filled again when im done..

Not that I have done it but if you can replace the clutch without taking the compressor out of the car, there would be no need to recharge.

Refilling the A/C system is around $50 last time I had it done.

coupe
05-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Im gonna check with my shop and see what they say.