Painting The Door Interior [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Painting The Door Interior

Kodeblue
05-18-2004, 03:25 PM
I am in the process of doing some more painting in my car. I have seen people that either dyed or painted thier interior door panels. Can this be painted because of it being a soft vinyl or would I have to dye it? The only part that is soft really is the center part of the panel by the armrest.

tenspeed
05-18-2004, 08:43 PM
I read that most people use paint. Krylon has a new line out for painting plastic.

tonmarchelli
05-18-2004, 10:16 PM
i think hes talking about the soft "foamy" part right behind the door handle. if you paint it and it dries, any movement would crack the paint

Kodeblue
05-19-2004, 03:01 AM
I want to paint all of the door, soft part and the harder part.

Hexx
05-19-2004, 05:12 AM
I want to paint all of the door, soft part and the harder part.

Yeah I have been meaning to ask about the hard part. What is the dye that people use that is brushed on in layers?

Wasn't this method the "best" to some people? I think I remember reading that. Also, how do you paint the hard part? It feels like a hard rubbery plastic and I don't think paint would be good for that. I have a feeling it would wear off in time.

mr_eh
05-19-2004, 05:34 AM
im surprised more people dont fiberglass their interior door parts

Hexx
05-19-2004, 06:04 AM

What do you mean?

Kodeblue
05-19-2004, 01:34 PM
That was my original plan. In fact, I still have the passenger side pillar sitting here with 2 layers of glass. After giving it more thought, I didn't think it would look right with everything except the dash covered in glass. I am still going to work on the pillar for practice though.