Interior lights & cig lighter not working [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Interior lights & cig lighter not working

XMBlackGT1
05-18-2004, 08:08 PM
My girlfriend just bought a 2000 Grand Am GT coupe. It was a stolen vehicle that was recovered and has sustained quite a bit of damage to the body of the car, so its in a little rough-ish shape. She got it for about 3500 bucks with 21,000 miles, so she thought she could fix it up. Here's the question- none of the interior lights in the car work, and the cigarette lighter doesnt work. I have replaced fuses for the dome lights and the cig lighter. The mirrors dont light up, and the floorwell lights (2000's had them) dont work either. Here's a question- there is no dome light- it looks like the wire connector harness at the end of the wires was cut off. If I get a harness and hook it up, might the dome lights and interior lights work? ANY info would be greatly appreciated. She is a little frustrated that she cant see in her car at night. Thanks a ton in advance!

RedGrandTour
05-19-2004, 06:07 AM
I think you answered your own question. :D First, you should pop off the fog/dimmer panel and check those wires. Those wires can also cause the interior lights to stop working. The OEM relays for our car are around $50 bucks.

Dan00GPGT
05-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Does the dash light up at all? Radio/dash/hvac lights?

Here's a check for the mirrors to give you an idea which end is screwed up.

There should be a plug going into the rearview mirror, unplug it and use a meter to check for the following voltages:

The black/white wire should have +12 volts on it
One of the black wires should ALWAYS have ground on it 0.0 volts
The other black wire should have ground on it when the keyless entry is used or when the door is open.

If you can check this, I can help you figure out where down the line the problem is.

By the way, you should replace the dome light but that doesn't sound like it's the problem. The other lights should work independently of that light.