Anyones steering wheel ever flake or fade? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Anyones steering wheel ever flake or fade?

NoOneYouKnow
05-19-2004, 08:37 AM
The rim of my steering wheel is starting to fade...and its really annoying....

would a replacement be covered under warranty?

Hexx
05-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Probably not under warranty. Ask them. They would know. Is it just the leather wrapping? Mine is an 00 and hasnt flaked or faded yet.

Doctor Ouchie
05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
All the 'leather' surfaces in my car (steering wheel, shift handle, e-brake handle) are all wrinkly and nasty feeling. Anyone have any luck replacing the surfaces?

And you might be able to combat that fade with some sort of plastic protectant product; i.e., Armor All, Super 2000. Restores some depth and a lot of shine, in addition to protecting it.

XMBlackGT1
05-19-2004, 08:30 PM
If your car is under warranty, they will replace it. Ive had them replaced in all 3 of my GAGT's. Take it in, show them whats goin on, and they will order you a new one. If your leather has gotten "crusty" and "nasty" feeling, all it takes to bring it back is some leather conditioner. Its an oil based lotion of sorts that rehydrates the leather and restores its softness. Something that should be done every couple of months to keep it from drying out.

Doctor Ouchie
05-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Oh, it's real leather? Whoops. Thanks for the tip though;)

Jagey
05-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Mine started cracking and i replaced it under warranty

99StudlyGT
05-21-2004, 06:37 AM
99 leather is different then 2000 and up leather. In 99, we all have this fake, cheap leather that cracks really badly. I work at a carwash, and I use both LEXOL and Meguiars leather conditioner. Didn't help. The top of my steering wheel is completley flaking off and looks/feels terrible. I am gonna try to get the new leather.