My newest screwup [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My newest screwup

checkmate211ae
05-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Thinking I was more skilled than I really am, I thought I could install my new oil pressure sender for my gauges....but I unknowingly put it in the knock sensor hole, driving home from the auto hobby shop on base to the crib, kicked a check engine soon. hooked up the knock sensor with it sitting out of the car, it still kicked the light. Has anybody else ever done this? couple of things that should've tipped me off that I messed it away was:

1) Oil pressure gauge comes up to 0 but doesn't read anything, and the light on the dash for the oil pressure comes on like it used to, shouldn't have worked this way if I took out the right part!!!!

2) Car was idoling a little lower than normal and was kinda sluggish accelerating.

I feel like such a idiot, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one that has ever done this....just a little tip for anybody that wants to learn to tweek with cars.....the mods link on the home page of this website is really useful!!! Now I have to fix my mess.

checkmate211ae
05-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Update....Fixed my screw up, but light still came on after we swapped everything around. Had the codes read out on base and I didn't get the exact codes abbreviations, but knock sensor and a code for the oil pressure switch. Had the guy that read the codes clean out the codes and delete the oil pressure switch. Oil pressure gauge now reads about 40 psi at idle and about 60 at wot. Car seems to be running clean again, driving around all day, didn't see the light.

Kyle
05-23-2004, 05:34 AM
Does the oil pressure sending unit go in above the starter?

checkmate211ae
05-26-2004, 07:11 AM
yeah, its above the starter, not the oil filter. above the oil filter is the knock sensor.