99SE V6 Cutting out and Stalling when warm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99SE V6 Cutting out and Stalling when warm

domi_no
05-20-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Ya'll. Any help would be great. I have a 99SE with 144K on it and still runs pretty good. I have not done any mod, and kept it pretty much stock. A week or two ago it started giving me problems. It starts up fine, and drives fine for the 20 miles to work. If I drive around town, or get stuck in traffic, it wants to cut out, and stall. I have read different threads dealing with the crankshaft position sensor, transmission sensor, and MAI (?). I don't know where to start, and any advise would be helpful. If I keep the coolant Temp at 200 or cooler, the problem does not exist. If the Temp goes from 200, maxing at 210, the problem exist. Fells kind of like the traction control kickin in at first, then goes back to normal, but if I don't do something about the Temp, then it will stall a couple of minutes later. Car cools down and the problem does not exist. I don't get any codes. plugs and wires about 8K ago, and new fuel filter last week :) . I don't know what else to list, so I will now leave it to the pros. Thanks for checkin on this.

swordfencer
05-21-2004, 03:39 PM
How old is your battery? Could be as the battery gets hot, it will loose charge. The alternator may also be going as well.

kristin04gt
05-22-2004, 06:45 AM
I had a 99 SE V6 before I got my current car, and it did that to me twice. It also had some odd transmission problems, like getting stuck in reverse when going from park to drive.

Anyway, my transmission fluid was low. Once I filled it up, I didn't have problems.

Dunno if that solved it, or I was just lucky. lol

Filter
05-22-2004, 12:06 PM
I was gonna say. Transmission. Often times when you're getting the problems you are, it's a solonoid in the transmission. It's supposed to open up when the car is hot to stop it from stalling, but instead it's stuck and since everything isn't spinning freely it stalls out.

domi_no
05-25-2004, 09:19 PM
Battery is new and doing great. As for the Tranny, I will check the fluid to see if it helps. I changed out the fluid and filter on it about 20K ago. Should I change out the fluid again? Or is there something I can do different for the Tranny? Thank you guys for your replies and help. I hooked up a backprobe to the crankshaft sensor about an hour ago, and I'm gonna see how the voltage reads for the sensor while I drive tomorrow. I read in a different thread about the voltage needing to stay above 5V. Anything lower would mean a bad sensor. I'll post to let ya'll know if there is interest. Later Guys. Domi_no.

action
05-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Fuel injector cleaning??? Wouldn't hurt anyway, have it hooked to a TEC 2 and see if there are any codes stored

nomojo
05-26-2004, 05:32 PM
How old is your battery? Could be as the battery gets hot, it will loose charge. The alternator may also be going as well.

The charge of the battery doesnt matter once the car has been started, so I dont see how it can be the battery.

If the alternator is going there is a dummy light on the dash saying 'hey, your alt is busted'.

If theres no light on the dash and your car starts, I'd tend to rule out the alt/batt combo. If you wanna know for sure if the battery is dead, check the acid fluid window on the top of the battery. It should be green.

EDIT:
also, if its the PWM solenoid it should trip the SES light on the dash, although that thing is silly and sometimes doesnt come on when I think it should, so as a previous poster mentioned take it to someone who can check for stored error codes.

EDIT EDIT: (yeesh!)

Also, there is a TSB on defective PWM solenoids so if it ends up showing that error code or whatever and your car is in that series that the TSB mentions, it should make the whole 'what the dealership does for you' thing easier.

cheers

domi_no
05-28-2004, 06:00 AM
Hey guys. Thanks for the idea and stuff to check. I have a code reader and it came up clean. The crankshaft position sensor stayed pretty much around 5V for the last 2 days of driving. It dipped a couple of times below 5, but that didn't cause the effect. I'm pretty much thinkin its the tranny now. Driving around my neighborhood making the temp increase started to make it hesitate when I would take off from a stop, or really act up as I was turning left at a stop. (go figure) I turned on the AC, and Heater to full blast to bring the temp back down, and I could not get the car to act up once the temp gauge moved back to under 200. I am thinking about changing out the fluid, and have a transmission fluid cooler installed to help with the tranny fluid temp. As for injector clearer, you are correct "Action" it wouldn't hurt. Should I grab something off of the shelf, or take it somewhere to have it done? Thanks again. Domi_no.

action
05-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Having it done at a garge is more effective, the usefullness of the 'off the shelf" products is always a good debate. Personally I just stick a bottle of injector cleaner in with the gas wvery 5k or so, and occasionally use the spray through the throttle body to clean it and the plenum.