Brake Calipers Creaking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake Calipers Creaking

glenng
05-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I read some of the old threads on this topic, and am in agreement that there are some GM design flaws with the calipers. Also sorry to rehash this topic, but I find it a little outlandish that a 2003 model car with 20,000 miles has to sound like Grandma's rocking chair when I step on the brake pedal and that at some point its going to start leaking brake fluid. So I kind of wanted to find out - 1) Do most people have this caliper problem, and so early on 2) Has any dealer agreed to help fix (my local one sent me packing) - and were the fixes sucessful 3) Has anyone heard further info on potential GM recalls.

I love this car but am not willing to spend a ton of money on new braking system when it works fine other than the cheap sounding noise.

Slim
05-21-2004, 11:52 AM
I've had my dealership fix it twice under warranty already. The creak is back, so it looks like I'm due for another trip. It started at about 20,000 kms and happened again at 25,000 kms and now at 34,000.

I think I'm due for a brake job in the summer, so I'll see what I can do about it then.

cavingman
05-21-2004, 12:08 PM
my 03 didnt start doing it until 40k miles.
fixing it yourself is realllly easy though.

PACE
05-21-2004, 01:21 PM
my 03 didnt start doing it until 40k miles.
fixing it yourself is realllly easy though.

How U fix?

cavingman
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
take the caliper off, grease the slider bolts, reassemble.
the bolts are the ones you have to take out anyways to get the caliper off. after the caliper is off they just pop out.
i changed my rotors and pads, first time myself i might add. took me maybe 4 or 5 hours with painting and scrubbing off orange paint.

swordfencer
05-21-2004, 03:35 PM
take the caliper off, grease the slider bolts, reassemble.
the bolts are the ones you have to take out anyways to get the caliper off. after the caliper is off they just pop out.
i changed my rotors and pads, first time myself i might add. took me maybe 4 or 5 hours with painting and scrubbing off orange paint.

I had the same problem with the brake creaking noise. The dealer cleaned and lubed the slider bolts and the rest of the caliper and the problem went away. Mine started around 20k miles. I am guessing the calipers are pretty sensitive to dust and dirt and probably need to be cleaned and lubed every so often.

cavingman
05-21-2004, 03:48 PM
its actually cause by the fact that the calipers are made out of a diff type of metal than the bolts. eventually when they heat up, one heats up faster than the other, causing them to be different sizes and rubbing on each other. when the grease is old/worn down they rub on each other.
or something to that effect :\

AznGA
05-21-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok there are performance friction brakes pads out there. Will those fix it?

cavingman
05-21-2004, 06:13 PM
pads arent gonna fix the creaking, its the calipers themselves. if you buy pads though you might as well grease those bolts anyways because your pullin atleast 1 of em out.

glenng
05-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all your input guys - I guess next time I pull a wheel off I'll lube those slider bolts and hope for the best

firecat
05-22-2004, 08:20 PM
I just got my brakes and rotors done 5000k ago and one rotor is making a rattle noise but when i apply the brakes it goes away..so i thought that the caliper got loose checked that and it was fine so do you think that the slider bolts have to be greased?

cavingman
05-22-2004, 11:23 PM
usually the creaking comes when you apply brake pressure, so i doubt thats what is going on.

n43210
05-23-2004, 12:25 AM
actually mine started creaking after i painted my calipers. when i put the pads back in they started creaking. i ended up replacing the pads with news ones i had laying around and the creaking went away. greasing up the bolts didnt help at all but its worth a try.

MikeSilverGT
05-24-2004, 12:22 AM
My 2002 only has 16k on it and it's creaking pretty badly... Guess I'll bring that up on the next oil change.

Breadfan
05-24-2004, 02:03 PM
Schweet! I've been pulling my hair out over that noise! I didn't get it until about 60,000 miles, but I replaced the pads which didn't fix it, and then was about to do new rotors (again).

I'll grease 'em up this weekend, will be nice to get quiet brakes again, I HATE driving by people, heh, my car looks great, then I come up to the stop sign and get stares as my car sounds like an 85 Caravan when stopping.

action
05-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Anyone with a new car, get the caliper service completed by the deaker at the intervals reccomended in the owners manual. If you do this, most dealers will give you full warranty on all brake jobs (minus pads) to the end of the initial warranty (60k kms). This service is basically to grease the sliders, but warrants the rotors, calipers (creking and all that crap too)

VaGT
05-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Are you guys talking about the noise you hear say when you are stopped, let up on the brake just enough to have the car inch forward, then stop it again?

If so, I have always gotten this noise... even after getting new brakes put on (I was helping as it was my Sister In Law's fiance - GM Tech) and watching him re-lube the caliper pins.