Tune up ?--Can I do it on my own? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tune up ?--Can I do it on my own?

Dan30thZ28
05-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Hello,
The dealer wanted to charge me $149 for a "minor tuneup" on my car. All they were going to do was replace the air filter, fuel filter and PCV valve. An outrageous amount for that kind of work in my opinion. I can take care of the Air filter (have a K&N---already cleaned so that's taken care of.), and I can take care of the PCV. My question is, where is the fuel filter located and is it difficult to replace on our cars? Thanks in advance.

kubiache
05-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Fuel filter takes 5 minutes if you can get under your car. You just need a screwdriver to carefully pry the tabs back and off the filter. It's right behind your fuel tank kinda set up towards the body, right in the center. Once you're under there, you'll see it real easy.

Dan30thZ28
05-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Dave,
Thanks for your reply. I'll let you know what happens when I try it out.

nomojo
05-22-2004, 06:48 PM
just thought I'd mention it, I saw a thread not too long ago saying that removing the clips off the fuel filter was a major PITA, and that a bunch of people just end up breaking them off, so if thats true keep that in mind.

Dan30thZ28
05-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Nomojo,
I'll see how difficult it is. If I think I'm going to break it, I'll get it done somewhere. Thanks for your input.