321 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 321

Rich
05-22-2004, 08:49 AM
is it possible to shift between the 321 while driving, like a manual? is it bad for the car?

AznGA
05-22-2004, 11:53 AM
If you have auto tranny, I would say yes.

UNCTYPE-S
05-22-2004, 12:06 PM
never never, and i repeat never downshift while driving. maybe from D to 3, but never downshift like a manual in a auto tranny car.

my buddy had a 99 se and all he did was up shift. he would pull up to the light shift down into 1st and then upshift through all the gears. even that can mess something up, but luckily for him his tranny was fine.

i would suggest just leaving it in D or 3 as that is what the auto tranny is made for.
if ur going to use the upshift method i wouldnt do it all the time unless u have a warranty with your car.

some people upshift at the track as well.

Rich
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
ok. yeah i wasnt sure. i was in a traffic jam yesterday and got to wondering. so thanks. i don think ill be trying it anytime soon.

nomojo
05-22-2004, 06:42 PM
never never, and i repeat never downshift while driving. maybe from D to 3, but never downshift like a manual in a auto tranny car.

Why? As long as the gear you're downshifting into doesnt over-rev the engine, the car's designed to take it AFAIK. They talk about it in the owners manual.. :)

If you drop it from 4th into 1st while going 180km/h, you're gonna have engine parts flying, but other than that....

EDIT: obviously you would need to take your foot off the gas between the shift and wait for the gear to pick up before re-applying the gas tho, otherwise you're gonna start shredding gears.