Hit a Huge DEEP puddle, NOW WHAT?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hit a Huge DEEP puddle, NOW WHAT?!

BadGT471
05-22-2004, 09:58 AM
Well like it says above I hit a lot of standing still water that was deep at about 60 MPH last night. I am fortunate enough to say that I kept the car under control and I did not hit anything. THe car did slide through it and the back end started to slide out a bit. Nonetheless, I have a SLP Catback exhaust and a Stage 3 Intake (Filter in the fenderwell) That was my main concern. Anyways, pulled into a gas station up the road and looked under the car... The only damage I saw was my front neon tube behind my air damn the Zip tie thing that is holding it up snapped so it was hanging on one side. Other than that I see no damage and the car seems to drive fine. Today it seems fine as well. Is there anything I should really look for? Would that knock the car out of alignment? If anyone could give me any tips on what to look for. I am so afraid I messed something up, but I don't see or feel any damage!

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. it was dark, and I didnt see the puddle so i hit it hard and water shot up higher than the car lol... NOT GOOD!

SC/TGrandAm
05-22-2004, 10:02 AM
you could or most likely knocked your alignment out, esp if you jerked the wheel.

You could have bent a rim, messed up some suspension. But if you messed up suspension then you'd know it.

Check the oil pan and the undercarriage in the day light and get a flashlight too if necessary.

BadGT471
05-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Ok, I'll take a look at the oil pan. I would think maybe the alignment would be off, but the car seems to drive straight, no pulling or anything.... I don't really want to pay like $50 to have the alignment checked, but maybe I should.. It does seem fine though.

UNCTYPE-S
05-22-2004, 12:08 PM
if water was thrown up into the engine, im sure a code would be thrown on your dash

SC/TGrandAm
05-22-2004, 02:18 PM
well get on the highway on a perfectly sraight/flat road and get up to about 65 or 70 and let go of the wheel if it pulls then you know the alignment is off. Its suppossed to pull to the right very so slightly, in the event of you fall asleep at the wheel.

tenspeed
05-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Its suppossed to pull to the right very so slightly, in the event of you fall asleep at the wheel.

WHAT! Where did you ever hear that? I've heard that it's suppossed to pull to the left ever so slightly to counteract the crown of the road.

Jagey
05-22-2004, 05:32 PM
if you hit the water with so much force, the front part of the car should have separated the water enough so that nothing else would be touched. The only thing to worry about would be the alignment, everything else should be fine. It would be just like driving through a giant dry pothole at that speed.

Panacea
05-22-2004, 05:46 PM
My car doesn't pull to the left or the right. On a perfectly smooth, new road it goes straight. Otherwise on worn roads it can pull left or right becuase of the grooves left by the tires.

nomojo
05-22-2004, 06:20 PM
WHAT! Where did you ever hear that? I've heard that it's suppossed to pull to the left ever so slightly to counteract the crown of the road.

I'm gonna go with GrandAMSC/T on this one. It should pull ever so slightly to the right..

Depending on the road, wind, etc, it may go straight, but under normal circumstances a very very slight pull to the right is expected for safety AFAIK

Panacea
05-22-2004, 06:30 PM
I think the car pulling to the right is a myth. It's generally the grooves in the road causing it. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it.

fschambe
05-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I think the car pulling to the right is a myth. It's generally the grooves in the road causing it. I may be wrong, but I don't believe it.
Yep, they're usually pitched towards the right so the water and sleepy drivers head off the road instead of in the middle and towards oncoming traffic. As for a car's alignment no way is it set to go a certain direction...

coupe
05-23-2004, 02:21 PM
I know how you feel. I went through a huge water puddle at about 6 a.m. coming home. At that time it was really dark and there was no avoiding it. The bummer part is ai just put in my new doc speed CAI stage 3r. Lets just say i freaked out. I was about a mile from home. When i got there i took off the wheel an checked my air filter. To my amasement it was dry. The puddle you went through sounds like the size i went through.......real big and deep. God bless K&N filters.

SC/TGrandAm
05-23-2004, 05:28 PM

uh well you see the GM dealer told me that and so did a place that does alignments because i specifically asked if that was normal.

Dan00GPGT
05-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Cars are aligned to drive straight. The only reason they would pull to one side or the other is because the road isn't perfectly flat or the car wasn't aligned right. What's the point of having a car aligned to drive straight just to offset it to one side right away??? *sigh*

Slim
05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Hahaha... Yeah. The car is aligned to drive perfectly straight when you let go of the wheel. All this talk about "counteractig the crown of the road" is bunk. A three-lane highway has a crown in the middle with a slope going to either shoulder. Here's what should happen when you let go of the wheel.

Middle lane = car goes straight
Left lane = cars veers to the left
Right lane = car veers to the right

Correcting the alignment would only work if you always drove on the right side slope of a road. I don't know about others, but I'm a left laner on the highway.

carsarecool
05-24-2004, 10:09 AM
well, im not sure about in IL but here, Sears does alignments for $60 if they haev to adjust anything but if they check it and it doesnt need any adjustment they dont charge you

action
05-25-2004, 06:53 AM
I'd say your intake is fine, you likely hydroplaned accross the water. The fenders are pretty well sealed too, compared to alot of cars out there. I also woulnd't worry about the alignment, unless it was a big pot hole and you struck it hard.

VaGT
05-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I agree.. cars are not specifically aligned to pull to one side or another. It would suck to have a car aligned to pull to the right on a road tilted slightly to the right (most two lane roads are)... you would constantly be adjusting to keep it on the road.

The roads are designed that way for water runoff (as already pointed out). Furthermore, if the car was out of alignment on purpose, you would be at the tire shop a whole lot more.

To the original problem. I would probably have the car checked out. If you just hydroplaned, without feeling a huge jolt on your tires, I might not worry about it if all things feel the same. If you have a lot of wear left on your tires, you might want to have it checked out anyway. If something is not aligned right, or if you have a bent rim, you could ruin your tire(s). If anything, normal driving slowly puts your car out of alignment, so you could get that corrected.

It takes a good beating to bend a rim, but it happens a good bit. I bent one last year on a pothole at highway speeds. I bought a replacement from a dealer who sells rims on Ebay... frparts is his username. I got one new for $200 shipped. I couldn't beat that price from a local junk yard for a damaged one.

2002AmSE
05-26-2004, 06:49 AM
The roads around here in my neck of minnesota still slope down when in the left lane, some are normal though, but it really depends on the road because we've got a divided highway that is 65mph near my place and the westbound direction the car will go to the left regardless of which lane is used, the eastbound its the other way around, but that whole highway is on slanty ground...