Fuel Injector Cleaners [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Injector Cleaners

Jagey
05-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Does anybody here use it? and if so, how often? Any noticable differences from using it, especially in the fuel economy area? Would a car like mine with 20,000 kms even benefit from dumping some of this in the tank?

luniz
05-22-2004, 11:44 PM
Some people use it every oil change and swear by it. Seth had a problem with using it and swears at the thought of it lol

Jagey
05-23-2004, 09:11 AM
really? something bad can actually happen from using it?

luniz
05-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I believe Seth's injectors were clogged real bad and he used the fuel injector cleaner regularily until he saw his injectors. Now he says to stay away from them. IIRC he had the injectors professionaly cleaned when his car had low miles. Something not real common with an engine that is still in the lower mileage range.

Jagey
05-23-2004, 09:29 AM
well using the fuel injector cleaner once shouldn't hurt anything, right?

tenspeed
05-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Fuel injector cleaner is just a solvent that dislodges and dissolves crud that gasoline can't. It shouldn't do any harm and prolly not much good unless you have some crud in there.

MikeSilverGT
05-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I use Chevron's Techron cleaner at every 10,000 miles. Doing it every 3000 seems excessive... Besides, using injector cleaner regularly will probably add up in costs to the cost of getting your injectors cleaned had you not used anything... Having them cleaned is guaranteed to get the job done, but there is debate on if anything you pour in your gas tank even works...

iceman
05-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Haha luniz, yeah I used that stuff every 5k, had clogged injectors twice, and one replaced. I'm not using that stuff again, I don't care what the bottle says its supposed to do. Haven't had a prob since I stopped usin it. But then again that may just be my car. :violin

If you want it cleaned good, go to the dealer and get the stuff that runs straight off the fuel rail - that will do the trick.