Removing Interior Pieces [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing Interior Pieces

ga_fo_lyfe
05-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Hey everyone!

I was wondering how you take out the interior pieces for painting...... Like the one around the Radio..... and the one on top of the Tach and Speedo....... And the one spot under the foglights...... Also what about painting the Piece that the fog lights are on? How do you take that off.....? Please Help!!!!!

Thanks a head of time...

nomojo
05-23-2004, 08:33 PM
hi

radio panel just pulls off, gently wedge something between the radio fascia on the side and the vinyl and pry ever so slightly (careful not to scratch anything). Its just clipped on.
By foglights i assume you mean the switch cover, i believe (not sure) its clipped on too.
Tach&Speedo have screws, i believe there are some behind the steering wheel accessible when you tilt it all the way and two on the top side of it, im not sure if there are others.

ga_fo_lyfe
05-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks man I will give that a try!!!!! I just didn't want to try and screw anything up Thanks man!

2000GA
05-23-2004, 09:18 PM
where the tach is i bleive theres a couple screws, search for gauge install or something and it will give directions to take out that piece. the radio trim and foglight ones just pull and the will come out. for the radio make sure your keys arent out then start pulling and then once you get enough room put your keys back in and put it in first/second.

AGould00gt
05-23-2004, 11:01 PM
hey man i just got done alot of painting on the interior of my GAGT......its worth the work and not that hard to do......it looks like most of the how to's have already been posted so im just gonna throw ya some ideas.....when i did mine i did the piece around the radio the piece around my gages, the peice behind my door handles, the trim around my shifter, my fog light switch, and the power window switches.....im gonna try to get some pics online soon but i have none as of yet.......all of this is done simply, i did it in four nights, bout two hours each night (including dry time) with the door handle pieces, there should be a scew right behind your door handle...just unskrew that and the piece will slide right out, youll have to pull you door handle to slide it out. all the switch pieces pull right out with a lil prying....you'll have to disconnect a few wire harness's and then you can go at it....just tape up what you dont want to paint and go at it....the trim around the shifter just pulls out. I used Krylon Plastic and vinyl paint...bout two or three bucks at walmart and it worked very well. Just make sure you sand everything good before you start painting it will not turn out good at all...good luck man and i hope this helps ya.......

AznGA
05-24-2004, 03:41 AM
The key should be in when you take out the radio peice?

ga_fo_lyfe
05-24-2004, 10:03 AM
I just tried taking everything apart and it was all good. Thanks for your help lol. This is the embarrassing part lol. How do you take the Wire Harnesses off? :knob:

Kodeblue
05-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Ummm not sure how you take the wire harness off but why do you need to remove that?

ANother off topic note, I hope the ga in your name is for grand am, that's not how I initially read it the first time though, lol. No offence to be taken though.

ga_fo_lyfe
05-24-2004, 10:20 AM
Don't you have have to take the Harnesses off to paint them...... like..... Won't the Paint be all over the place lol..... BTW what kind of paint should I use.......

MasterMJ
06-16-2004, 12:44 AM
This might sound dumb but i can't get the cap off the steering column...........can anyone help me out??