spongy brakes after changing shoes [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : spongy brakes after changing shoes

izayn
05-24-2004, 05:30 AM
This has to be a first for me after about 10-20 brake changes over the years
I changed my brakes from regular shoes to ceramic shoes. When I drove it today (monday) the brakes have been ver very spongy to the point where its seems its not going to stop.

Does anybody know why and how to get the brakes feeling normal again?

Hexx
05-24-2004, 05:36 AM
Bleed the brakes. I know I never bleed the brakes on any vehicle I change shoes/rotors on...just because 90% of the time they don't need it.....the method I use doesn't require I do it.

izayn
05-24-2004, 06:28 AM
I thought of that but before I changed them I noticed the resivor was a litle below the max line now its way above it to the point where its almost over flowing. Would that have anything to do with it?

Hexx
05-24-2004, 11:13 AM
I thought of that but before I changed them I noticed the resivor was a litle below the max line now its way above it to the point where its almost over flowing. Would that have anything to do with it?

Maybe. Try bleeding them and see if that improves it....it should, if not it is probably something wrong with your brake booster. What you described sounds like my bros camaro (you can hear the think leaking...and he has like no brakes but has new rotors and pads with a lot of life in them).

action
05-25-2004, 06:49 AM
Bleed them, sounds like the wheel cylinders came out too far. I'd check to see that the rear wheel cylinders are not leaking too. Also, new shoes have to wear into the drums, that can make for sketchy braking for a little while.

Dan00GPGT
05-25-2004, 06:56 AM
If it's OVER the max line then you want to fix that. Did you add fluid to the system when the brakes were old? Pushing the pistons back into the caliper most likely pushed the fluid back into the master cylinder. The brake fluid should be no higher than midway between the MIN/MAX levels before starting a brake job. I'd reduce the level and if that doesn't fix your problem, bleed the brakes.