Power Steering Failure? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Failure?

BlackGT
05-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Hey, im new to the forum, and lately my power steering has been failing me. It seems to fail sometimes when i am turning at slower speeds , and almost all of the time when i am trying to park. I have checked/added power steering fluid, but the problem has not stopped. I assume that my power steering pump is not working properly. So do i need a new pump...or is there any other quick fixes to try? If you have any information it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

-Austin

action
05-26-2004, 06:26 AM
IF your PS is failing at low speed only, then teh vanes inside of the pump are shot and it will have to be rebuilt or replaced. (This happened to me) You can confirm this by turning teh wheel back and forth at idle, (in neutral or park) then step up the idle and see if there's a difference.

I also had the shaft in teh pump fail. The shaft from the pulley cracked off and I lost ALL PS assist. You can check this easilly too. Pop the hood and see if you can move the pully on the PS pump in and out (it will bring up on the strut tower if cracked of, otherwise it won't budge.)

In either case teh pump will likely have to be replaced, I replaced teh last one on my car my self because teh warranty ran out. Very easy, used pump $75 CAD, remove the engine mount that's in the way (support engine with floor jack), take the belt off, 3 bolts hold the pump in place, let go your 2 lines and installation is reverse of this. Total time is less than an hour.

BlackGT
05-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. And yes i have noticed that when i step up the idle the power steering starts to work alot better. Looks like ill be looking to get a new PS pump. Once again thanks for you help

-Austin

action
05-26-2004, 11:13 AM
No sweat, if you do go to replace it yoruself (if you have no warranty) let me know, I can give you more detailed instructions on how to cahnge the pump yourself.

If you buy used, you usually get the whole assembly, if you buy new at the dealer, you often have to cahnge over resivoirs, which is more of a pain.

BlackGT
05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Ill have to shop around and see what i can find, and if i decide to do it myself ill let you know

thanks again

-austin

nomojo
05-26-2004, 06:08 PM
Hey, just to be sure..

I know the problem you described operates backwards to what I'm about to say, but I want you to be sure before you spend all that $$$ on parts..

Our cars have Variable Effort steering, meaning at higher speeds it should take more effort to turn the wheel than at slow speeds.

Now, like I said above, you said its hard at slow speeds but easy at high speeds, and if thats the case, than disregard the post.. Again, just trying to offer anything to save you the time and $$$ of messing with steering.

BlackGT
05-26-2004, 07:26 PM
thanks for the concern , but its definetly very hard to turn at slow speeds, now its just trying to find a PS pump/and or installation. Any one have any idea of the best place to go/ how much it shud cost?

action
05-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Ye, at idle, its almost like manual steering!!!! Brutal for parallell parking.

I paid $75 canadian for a used pump, labour is no more than an hour for a qualified garage. It only took me an hour with air tools, and Zero experience in replacing a pump on these cars before!!!