2 Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

JohnnyMonk
05-26-2004, 10:20 AM
First - possibly dumbest question ever but if i put a new cd player in my car will the steering wheel controls still work? i know the answer is probably yes. but doesn't hurt much to ask.

Second - i need to replace the Applique on my car they are both starting to peel and look like crap especially the passenger side which is about 50% gone. how do you install those. i'm guessing that panels on the inside come off and it unbolts from that way. any help is greatly appreciated.

Slim
05-26-2004, 10:27 AM
1. No... unless you get the IR (infra red) remote interface. Do a search in the audio section. It's been talked about a lot.

2. applique? Whachou talking' about Willis?

RedGT2004
05-26-2004, 10:29 AM
1. yes would loose your steering wheel controls unless you buy a special adapters that lets you keep your steering wheel controls. You can get it at http://www.pfyc.com/gagt

2. Whats Applique?

Slim
05-26-2004, 10:31 AM
1. yes would loose your steering wheel controls unless you buy a special adapters that lets you keep your steering wheel controls. You can get it at http://www.pfyc.com/gagt

You mean no.... He asked if they would still work. :)

But yeah, that's the thing you need. I forgot PFYC sold it.

JohnnyMonk
05-26-2004, 10:35 AM
Applique is that glossy piece that at least on my coupe serpates the door from the back window.... i never knew what it was called until yesterday, i'lve spent about 3 months on and off trying to find that piece. hopefully not as long trying to figure out how to installl.

and thanks for the answer to the first one.

action
05-26-2004, 11:16 AM
tape them off and repaint them. Mine are starting to rust beleive it or not (I thought they were palstic, apparently not), that's what I'm doing.

Craig99SE2
05-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Second - Grafxwerks sells B-Pillar vinyl overlays for these as well if you aren't the paintin' type.

SC/TGrandAm
05-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Applique??? isnt that called the B-PILLAR?

At least thats what GM calls it...

Molson
05-26-2004, 12:42 PM
Applique is right. The B-Pillar is the pillar itself runs the entire height. the applique is the plastic piece covering on the exterior.

JohnnyMonk
05-26-2004, 12:44 PM
So can you paint the Applique... cause its kind of glossy....

What type of paint would you use to paint them with.
i need to paint my spoiler cause for what ever reason its getting ruined by the sun. the previous owner wasn't too nice to my poor car..... so i might as well just to do both and probably safe about 70 dollars.

action
05-26-2004, 12:51 PM
Spoiler is colour matched, may have to get a body shop to do that, I dunno.

The B-pillar covers are easy, rough them up with sandpaper, mask off surrounding areas, prime with decent automotive primer in a spray can, paint with black automotive paint, clear coat with automotive clear coat.

Dan00GPGT
05-26-2004, 01:00 PM
It's hardly worth the effort to paint them yourself. They're around $20 bucks a piece if I recall correctly.

JohnnyMonk
05-26-2004, 01:07 PM
the cheapest i found them for was 40 dollars each. only problem i was going to face was how to install them. how ever i think that i am going to go with the GrafxWerks Vinyl coverings. at half the price of 1 replacement i get 4 vinyl strips.
plus i can get those nice wheel emblems and have my rims look the way they should.

nomojo
05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
1. No... unless you get the IR (infra red) remote interface. Do a search in the audio section. It's been talked about a lot.

There are ones that are not IR based but that actually wire into the car.

The only thing I can warn you of: For my 2003 I had got a wired-in one for a '99 GrandAm and its not the same (the pin out to supply the voltage to the steering wheel controls circuit is 12V apparently in the 99 and like 9.6V (and radio supplied, might I add) in the 2003 model (and maybe others). Disconnecting the factory radio removes the supply voltage from this circuit. Yadda yadda yadda you can get it to work but to make your life easy get one thats made for the model year :)

anyways, that ended up turning into a rant. My observation was supposed to be 'if you dont want an IR interface, and your deck has a remote input plug on the back, they make ones that interface to that instead'

heh.

cheers.