Radio gets louder on one station [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radio gets louder on one station

GALover
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM
I just bought a brand new 04 SE2. It has the monsoon and all the other bells and whistles as a GT except the Ram Air. Anyway, one radio station comes in at about twice the decibels as all the other station. The weird thing is this is a local college station (with the weakest signal) and all the others are corporate stations. All my equalizer setting are the same for every station. Is there a compensator in the Monsoon system for a weak signal? What can I do to eliminate this?

nomojo
05-26-2004, 06:12 PM
I'll take a stab since no one else has said anything.

I dont know of anything special about the radio, but there are a number of things i can think of.

A) the output power of your college station is higher than norm or they're pre-amping the signal that they're sending out too much

B) the radio has 'auto-tuned' incorrectly; manually shift the tuning up or down a few points and see if that fixes it

C) the radio is programmable as to what it 'steps' by, for different areas of the world. I'm a little sketchy on how this works or whatever but i think in some places the small increments between stations are different than other places in the world. There is a setting somewhere whereby you can change this on the radio. If you're finding that alot of the stations are 'close, but not right', then this might be it.

Really, im just guessing, so if something I've mentioned helps, thats a bonus :)

cya

ViperGTSR
05-26-2004, 06:12 PM
well first of all decibals rarely "double." when something is 10x louder the actual increase in decibels is not very much say from 50 to 53db is a significant increase in volume, its a logarithmic increase

now does the HU actually tell u how strong the signal was, becuase its local so it still should be strong enough. I was playin with my mini system at home and i put the antenna in and the volume increased greatly just with the added reception

GALover
05-26-2004, 06:29 PM
I'll put it this way. I worry of blowing the speakers if I don't turn it down first. When leaving town this station is the first one to get static and drop. My co-worker said they use some low frequency tv airwaves instead of the standard tower (don't know bout that). One good thing is I get enough bass to vibrate the rear view mirror. I know the output is lower. The last vehicle I had (temp Ford Exploder) couldn't even pick-up the station unless I was within 5 miles of the college. I know I have the right frequency. I have lived here in Anchorage, AK for 16+ years and this particular station has always been the weakest.

GALover
07-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Found something. Appearenly they are broadcast though the TV. They are exempt from FCC rules. That explains all the cursing on that station. Some loophole. So now can anyone explain what I can do to fix this? Going to the dealer in a few days, I'll listen to the radio in other GA's to compare. Maybe try out a new GTP on a test drive.

Click here KZND (http://www.diymedia.net/feature/lpfm/f120699.htm)

IanGT99
07-23-2004, 02:00 PM
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, but it's true. FCC does mandate all stations running on a radio frequency between 88 and 108 hertz. However, most HU's I know of operate from 87.9-107.9. I've never heard of any HU being able to tune into 87.7. If they are running on a TV signal, then that is your problem. TV signals are broadcast at much higher power ratings than radio because they have to carry both audio and video signals. If this particular station is only running a still picture on the video side, then most of the power used to transmit the video signal would be added onto the audio signal, therefore, making the transmission a lot louder than any other normal radio station. As long as you are in the reception field of the station, it's gonna be really loud. My college station is running at 4000 watts right now on 88.9. It reaches about 15-20 miles out with the same levels as other stations in the area. A 920 watt TV signal using 98% of it's broadcast power on the radio would be equal to approximately a 150,000 watt radio signal with their feeds podded all the way in the red.

All you can do is preset all of your stations on your HU and don't use the seek function. That way, you'll never land on 87.7 and you'll never have to worry about blowing your speakers...

GALover
07-23-2004, 02:38 PM
More than half of the HU's I've owned go that far down the dial. I wouldn't have bought this GA if it didn't. I love this radio station. They could play anything but they only play the F and S word on occasion. I wanna F you like an animal is editted. No DJ ever cusses but they could. Only songs with like 3 or less cuss words will pass. I don't know the channel but I do know they are broadcasting a still image on TV. So all their power is in the radio.
The thing that got me with this HU is just how much louder it is compared to all the other HU's I've had. I think it has something to do with the stock amp's. The Impala I rented did the same thing but not as loud (does a bare stock Impala have the Monsoon, I know I saw something amp looking attached to the bottom of the rear 6x9's). I know it's not just any HU with an amp though. I have buddies with boom boxes (amps, caps, 15's) and their's sound fine.
I guess turning down all the presets is my only answer. Thanks Ian Durham.