Would the paint crack? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Would the paint crack?

rizer
05-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Some way some how i got this dent and have no clue what from. Its a clean dent up pretty high and theres no scratches in the middle or anything.
Being its so close to the edge, im afraid if try to pop it out from the inside of the trunk, its gonna crack the paint being its gonna have lots of tension from being right where its at.

What you guys think?

http://img26.photobucket.com/albums/v79/rizer/DSCF0041.jpg

PACE
05-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Damn that's a big dent.......I say pop it like a ZIT !

SC/TGrandAm
05-27-2004, 12:06 PM
ouch im going to guess its from someone leaning on your car or someone intentionally hitting it with something.

Kdawg207
05-27-2004, 12:15 PM
try dry ice before pushing it out

dry ice will sometimes pop a dent for ya

Hexx
05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
ouch im going to guess its from someone leaning on your car or someone intentionally hitting it with something.

Leaning??? I dunno 'bout that. Possibility but that is a pretty strong part of the car.

Wonder what could have hit it.

King Ding it! Put him to the test! I would think over time it would eventually crack and peel because by moving the paint like that, it has weakend it. It's just a matter of time before the sun starts to make it crack.

coupe
05-27-2004, 12:27 PM
I had a dent just like that in my 92 cutlass supreme. The body shop pulled it for $30. It was a "perfect" dent just like yours.

tenspeed
05-27-2004, 05:04 PM
It looks like a round object hit it like a rake or shovel handle. Could something hit it in a garage?

I wouldn't try any home remidies. Take it to a body shop or a dent pullling place. Your insurance agent might know where to go.

nomojo
05-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Don't hold me to it (seriously, its just my opinion, and if it goes haywire I dont want to be responsible :)), but I'm betting if you were to suction-cup that puppy out from the painted-side I dont think the paint would crack, in the same way it didnt crack getting dented.

Its hard to tell from the picture how big it is but, if its big enough for the following, a big suction cup like the ones used to lift tiles outta false floors (ala 1970's-80's computer rooms) work like a charm.

If you're not careful though, it will be easy to make a mess out of it, so I recommend taking it to a body shop if you're not comfortable with accepting the risk of attempting it and making a mess.. They should be able to pop it out for cheap.

good luck

rizer
05-27-2004, 07:18 PM
Welp, just went to a body shop and they quoted 200 bucks. They said it'd probally crack and for labor/paint/etc, 200 bucks :(

Hexx
05-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Ok well I washed my car today and remembered this post. I pushed as hard as I could...and even hit that section of my car and could not dent it. That being said....something like a vehicle must have pressed up onto it or something.

I dunno.

Dent should come out fairly clean though. I would go to a body shop and make sure that if anything happens (like paint cracking) that they will fix it free of charge (which most likely wont happen).

rizer
05-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Ok well I washed my car today and remembered this post. I pushed as hard as I could...and even hit that section of my car and could not dent it. That being said....something like a vehicle must have pressed up onto it or something.

I dunno.

Dent should come out fairly clean though. I would go to a body shop and make sure that if anything happens (like paint cracking) that they will fix it free of charge (which most likely wont happen).

ya, i was thinkin it had to be a car, its almost impossible to put a dent physically with it being so close to the edge. Yet theres no sratch or nothing. Probally some jacked up chevy with chevys gay plastic bumpers probally did it, who knows :(

2000GA
05-27-2004, 07:50 PM
ya, i was thinkin it had to be a car, its almost impossible to put a dent physically with it being so close to the edge. Yet theres no sratch or nothing. Probally some jacked up chevy with chevys gay plastic bumpers probally did it, who knows :(

gay plastic could also be a jeep

nomojo
05-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Welp, just went to a body shop and they quoted 200 bucks. They said it'd probally crack and for labor/paint/etc, 200 bucks :(

I'd get a second opinion, just to be safe, but keep in mind, body shops "like to make money" :P

Hexx
05-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Yeah they say it will prob crack so they can save their ass...plus they have probably seen this stuff before.

zx7ninja
05-28-2004, 10:09 AM
That's funny. I have a dent in the exact same spot, albeit a bit smaller than yours. I have no idea where it came from.

Black Z28
05-28-2004, 10:25 AM
i'd be surprised if it would just pop out like everyone is saying. unfortunately when metal is dented, it stretches some. more than likely its going to need pounded out, filled, and repainted. JMO though

Hexx
05-28-2004, 10:59 AM
i'd be surprised if it would just pop out like everyone is saying. unfortunately when metal is dented, it stretches some. more than likely its going to need pounded out, filled, and repainted. JMO though

Yeah...and it will be easier to dent that spot again too.

SonicTron
05-29-2004, 12:00 AM
dry ice it, it will shrink up a good amount and if you heatgun/blowdry it immediately after it should pop back into place.

no tools to scratch the paint, no forcing it to go back with tools, just ice and heat

it may or may not come out, but its worth a try and wont hurt