Exhaust and body kits [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and body kits

GrandAm-BC
05-27-2004, 05:33 PM
I am torn between the SLP and the Borla systems.....WHich sounds better and which has better gains? I went to a local shop before I knew about this two kits and Had a bigger exhaust put in from the cat back to the muffler, the it split to duals....sounds decent but not as nice as I want it to. Just need a little advice on that.

Also was thinking about ordering the Andy's kato kit. How does the kit hold up? Is it a decent install job? Is ther a lot of sanding or should I look somewhere else. I see that *** makes a kit but the diference is $1000.00! I am not all that into a kit, the only reason Why i want it, is because Eeryone here has a grand am, I just want to stand out.

My first engine mod was to buy the stage 3 Dr. speed CAI, does anyone think this is a good idea?

And lastly what other engine mods should I look into?

All the info. is greatly appreciated since I dont want to make a mistake and buy something that I am going to be unhapy with......thanks again

:stupid:

AndyVTek
05-27-2004, 06:13 PM
CAI = good idea if you're going to start modding somewhere... might wanna look at upgrading plugs/wires around 60k miles, although in all likelihood, they won't need replaced.

As far as exhaust, no one is gonna really answer your post because it has been discussed 37.2 billion times in 2.9 billion threads. Use the search button and you'll find a lot of good info. You'll find stuff on the AAS kit as well.

Jagey
05-27-2004, 11:30 PM
i'll answer the exhaust thing.
SLP sounds better. Borla sounds stock and is extremely expensive. Both will give similar performance results.

GrandAm-BC
05-28-2004, 08:20 PM
Thanks to Jagey, I am going to go with the SLP.
Also Thanks to Andy for pointing me in the right direction.

Does anyone know if Andy Auto Body kit is easy to install.....I was thinking about getting it But i am worried about putting more money into the kit than it is worth. Also What mod should I do After Dr. Speed CAI? I was also thinking about the new performance CPU.....is that a good idea?

Jagey
05-28-2004, 10:28 PM
right off the bat you should get headers, intake and exhaust. That will automatically put you over 200 wheel hp and is probably the best bang for the buck. You can probably follow that up with a DHP retune. Check out the different sponsors for this site, they have lots of fancy products to choose for your car, such as doctor speed, APOC, parts for your car, etc. etc.

GrandAm-BC
05-29-2004, 05:27 PM
Once again big thanks to Jagey...... :cheers:
I think your right, might hold off on the slp till i get the headers and intake.
Do you know much about that Performance cpu that I have been reading about? It has a core charge and on free re-flash if the dealer flashes it back to factory settings.....something I should go with or stay away from?

Jagey
05-29-2004, 05:49 PM
That sounds exactly like the DHP retune. You can find it at www.partsforyourcar.com

http://www.pfyc.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PFYC&Product_Code=GA3010&Product_Count=1&Category_Code=GANEW

That link will show you all the specs and benefits that DHP tuning will give you.

It is something you should definately look into once you rack up a lot of performance products already. The only person I know that it didn't work well for was "Iceman", otherwise everyone else is giving it rave reviews.

ps. If you get headers, you'll NEED the SLP exhaust to get full benefit from it. Headers will give 19hp if you combine it with exhaust and intake, it will give you much less power if you lack the exhaust because the air needs to exit as fast as it can with headers.

GrandAm-BC
05-29-2004, 06:23 PM
:cheers: to Jagey Once again. Why all the questions.....Because I am buying this stuff next tuesday and want the shop to get started rught away. I also have been reading about the intake manifold and the heads, do you think I should just let a local machinist do all the work here in town, I mean the heads, manifold and the headers, you would think I could get a discount.......I am going to buy the stage 3 CAI, looks like the Doctors but it was cheaper on ebay. The guy is on here his name is tub-something.

Once again Huge thanks to Jagey!!!!

GrandAm-BC
05-29-2004, 06:24 PM
oops, almost forgot, I have a custom exhaust on it already, I have 2.5 in pipe cat back to a .....damn forgot the muffler, out to dual exhaust

AznGA
05-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Ya Borla is too $$$. If you think SLP is too loud, get custom set up.