Lifters [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Lifters

carpediem1230
05-29-2004, 06:56 AM
so, my lifters are ticking, i bring it to the dealer and they say its because the engine is misfiring. They said i need 2 new coil packs, plug wires, and spark plugs, then i should be set cuz it won't misfire. does this sound right? It does it when its cold, and when the engine is under about 1,500 rpms. at idle i can feel that it's misfiring really bad. when its warm at cruizing speed, its fine. i've got plugs and wires on the way, and am gonna get coil packs, but do you guys think this will make it go away? I'll also change oil tonight to see what that does.

AaronGAGT
05-29-2004, 08:25 AM
As far as I know, a little noise from the lifters is normal with our cars... especially when they first start up. As far as it being related to a misfire... I think it might be BS... but cant hurt to change your plugs and wires.

Hexx
05-29-2004, 10:07 AM
As far as I know, a little noise from the lifters is normal with our cars... especially when they first start up. As far as it being related to a misfire... I think it might be BS... but cant hurt to change your plugs and wires.

Its normal. Unless its really abnormal. Mine didnt do it when I first got it (had 58K miles). It started doing it after this past winter. No biggie...it goes away once its warmed up.

carpediem1230
05-30-2004, 08:13 AM
this isn't the normal - its really loud, and does it after its warmed up. well, i changed oil and added some JB engine tune. the lifters and ticking anymore, which is good. i'm still gonna put new coil packs, plugs, and wires on it to help the idle though- its really f'ed up.

john_ertw
05-31-2004, 06:47 AM
A thicker oil might help with lifter noise. I'm guessing you are using a 5W-30. Try a 10W30 next time or something a little thicker than that. It should be fine for the summer.

tammikm
07-20-2004, 06:38 AM
A thicker oil might help with lifter noise. I'm guessing you are using a 5W-30. Try a 10W30 next time or something a little thicker than that. It should be fine for the summer.

would an additive to the oil like risoline fix the noisey lifters? I hate the ticking!!!