Hating my car right now - Fuel related [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Hating my car right now - Fuel related

kubiache
05-30-2004, 05:51 PM
So, three times in the last month my car has left me stranded with fuel issues. Twice with the pump, and right now with something I have to go figure out tomorrow. I just put a new pump in two days ago, and it's ran perfect since then, but all of the sudden today as I'm about to leave work, it won't start. Cranks like a champ, but no go. So after checking damn near every fuse, I try the ol' starter fluid in the tb. Finally it roars to life...for 2 seconds. So this would indicate no fuel getting in the cylinders, ciorrect? I hear the pump prime, I hear fuel moving into the rail, so the last hangup would be the injectors, correct? I know I checked the fuse, but maybe I gotta check it again tomorrow. I also forgot to check the pressure valve at the end of the rail, so that'll be another thing to check tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

I can't even begin to tell you how much I wish this car would just explode....without me in it, of course.

Someone tell Hurley I'm in need of a good truck driver. ;)

nomojo
05-30-2004, 11:33 PM
Sure its not related to installing your push rods in the wrong order? :)

<ducks>

Damn, you're not having any luck these days are you? I feel for ya, car trouble is a major PITA.

I just changed the oil on my car myself for the first time on this car (eg I've had the dealer do it every time), and it was BLACK. I mean, this oil was in BAD shape, and it had been just under 5000 km's between changes. And it was down at LEAST a half-litre. Bad news for an engine with only 12,000 kms on it. Either they havent been changing the oil when I've been taking it in, or my engine is on its way to troublesville. Oh, and there was a piece of what looked like a rubber gasket stuck partially inside, in the middle of the old oil filter (no, not the one thats supposed to be there on the outside :))

Gotta love GA's :)

95-GT
05-31-2004, 12:36 AM
Dave, crank it, then pull a plug and smell for fuel. It may be something else related as timing or a sensor.

kubiache
05-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Sure its not related to installing your push rods in the wrong order? :)

<ducks>

Um, no. I feel pretty safe saying this isn't related to that. Besides that's just a theory that I haven't had time to prove or disprove yet. Unfortunately until some company in Colorado sends me new manis, I'm not going to know the answer to that one...because I'm NOT tearing that crap apart a 3rd time! ;)

Dave - I'll try that today when I head out there. The timing thought crossed my mind too...but what the hell would cause the timing to suddenly change like that. If a bolt of lightning striking about 100 feet from my car that sounded like a huge explosion going off can do it....but nothing was screwed up electrically.

95-GT
05-31-2004, 09:48 AM
If a sensor is screwed up, then the timing is way off.

kubiache
05-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Nevermind. I got to get into my tool box and ran a few more tests. My two day old fuel pump is bad. I'm getting it towed to school tomorrow so I can change it AGAIN.