Car Wash? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash?

GAGT7386
05-30-2004, 09:05 PM
I have heard that it isn't good to wash the car with regular dish soap like Dawn. I want to remove all the old waxes / polishes, so was wondering what a good way to do this is? Any suggestions?

RedGT2004
05-30-2004, 09:10 PM
claybar

nomojo
05-30-2004, 10:29 PM
Welp, while I agree with RedGT here about "claybar" being "the" option, heres my experience.

I used a "clay" bar system for the first time this weekend. Bought the McGuiars (sp) Clay Bar "system", its a spray bottle of stuff and a ~4" x 2" thing of "clay" (seemed more like sticky tac to me)

Heres what I found with the clay bar:

- Whatever the clay bar picks up isnt half as bad as the occasional streak of "clay" that gets stuck to your car. Its like a scuff mark on lineoleum flooring, and its about as hard to remove.

- It takes FOREVER to do the car. Seriously, doing a car with a 4"x2" piece of "clay". Yowza. Dont make any plans for the rest of the day.

Are there any quicker alternatives? Or can anyone tell me how to better-use the clay bar? I used it according to the instructions.

Cheers.

Matt's99GT
05-31-2004, 03:39 AM
I have heard that there is nothing wrong with using Dawn or anykind of dish soap ONLY if you do want to strip off the old wax and polish. Otherwise, you should never use it because that is exactly what it will do.