Car Engine Shuts Off Sometimes When I Start It.. why? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car Engine Shuts Off Sometimes When I Start It.. why?

GRocks10
05-31-2004, 03:56 PM
Hey everyone,

Just recently I been getting a problem that I can't really figure out why its happening.. well for one thing, I have no lights coming on so I know nothing is wrong with the engine.. I've had a recent major tune up job and fuel injection cleaning and everything works smooothly! One little problem though.. this didn't start happening after I got the above fixed.. this happend about a month later outta the blue. It was raining one night and I went in my car, turned it on with the key and it cranked fine.. engine running and then in a matter of about 5 seconds of being on.. it just shut off.

Now the car will turn on everytime I crank it and that same thing happend.. when I gave it some gas while turning the car on THEN it worked fine without shutting off. Also this hasn't happend that often.. just a few times out of the blue... most of the time I can turn on the car just fine without having to press the gas.. so I was wondering why is this happening? Anyone have any ideas? Is this something I should be worried about? Please let me know..

Thanks so much!

GRocks10
06-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Can someone offer any advice? You guys are the best!! thanks :)

SoloRacer
06-01-2004, 10:32 PM
sounds like a problem with fuel delivery, since it works when you press the pedal, you may need to change out your fuel filter, or worst case senario-fuel pump.

gobraves02002
06-02-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah try fuel filter

AndyVTek
06-02-2004, 07:54 AM
I was thinking fuel pump... Somethin' about the factory GM fuel pump being rather f0cked. There's a thread about people who get embarrased when it takes their car > 3 secs to start up. The final verdict, IIRC, was the fuel pump.

gobraves02002
06-02-2004, 10:04 AM
what i have been doing is turning key to on position, letting my fuel pump initialize then starting

GRocks10
06-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Ok thanks for all the help! I appreciate it more than you believe. :)

SoloRacer
06-03-2004, 01:34 AM
yeah i've already replaced my fuel pump because the filter went bad, or rather i never changed it, lol but i learned, so hopefully it'll help

GRocks10
06-08-2004, 02:10 PM
How much is a new fuel pump?