Totalled or not? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Totalled or not?

Blacker
06-01-2004, 02:39 AM
Do you think the car can be fixed. This is a 2000 with 59K miles on it. Hit a guard rail and look what happened. I felt like is was part a pit crew. Pulling parts off and yanking on the fender to get the car home.

Breadfan
06-01-2004, 08:03 AM
I think being totaled is up to your insurance...that ones a close call probably.

From the looks of the pics, it will need a front fascia, headlight assembly, hood, multiple internal peices, front quarter panel and inner supports, door, and rear quarter. (Either replaced or repaired)

It also looks like it needs atleast 1 rim replaced.

The car is probably worth about 6-7k, so I'd say it's probably not gonna be totalled. Like I said though, depends on the insurance, or, if they are not invovled, how much you wish to spend repairing it.

I don't quite know the cutoff for totaling a car, but I can tell you to get it back to stock showroom condition it'll be thousands of dollars no doubt.

If you are the one doing the work though, you might fare better if you found junkyard parts.

Is the front of the car twisted? Hows the engine, the mounts ok? How many internal parts are damaged? Did it drive home ok?

PACE
06-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Looks totaled to me.......but I would smash a few windows and throw in a few more dents to make sure though!!! :)

zx7ninja
06-01-2004, 09:17 AM
Now isn't the "rear quarter" section actually a part of the roof line? As all in one big piece? I haven't driven my GA in a while, so I don't remember lol
I believe it is though, which would more than likely mean that if that section of the body is unrepairable, you'd have to replace the WHOLE part. Which I imaging woulkd be pretty damn expensive. That alone might total the car.
I'd say you're toast, man. Unfortunately.

PACE
06-01-2004, 09:21 AM
Naw, they cut and mold it in.:( I would beat the hell out of it to make sure you get a new car instead of a "fixed" car.

nomojo
06-01-2004, 03:18 PM
"Frame" will be bent no doubt too.. since our cars arent full frame I dont know how that goes about getting fixed, but i'd bet part of the N body is bent.

Blacker
06-01-2004, 05:18 PM
The car has been towed and hopefully will hear about the estimate tomorrow. State Farm will cover 75-80% of its value before totalling it. I figure it will be close depending on what standard they use like KBB or NADA. The car drove fine for 100 miles after the accident and drove straight. The engine is functioning fine and no problems with overheating, power steering or AC. The car doesn't pull either which is amazing. Definitley will need 2 wheels, 2 tires, one fender, front facia, one headlamp, a bunch of molding and some electrical work. The harness that the front lights uses has some ripped off connectors. The radiator has a lot of dirt in the fins and will be replaced. Once we get the estimate, will go from there on what to do with the car.

crazypontiac03
06-01-2004, 08:46 PM
they will probably fix it, if the frame isnt bent in any way they will most likely fix it,

GTmonyPit
06-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Ouch!

Blacker
06-03-2004, 08:40 AM
The estimate is $7,663 to fix it. The body shop already said it was totalled. The insurance adjuster should be out this week to look at it and cut us a check. Looks like we will be getting a 2004 GAGT. I will be using the GM Supplier Discount and $5,500 in rebates. Should be able to get a new GAGT for ~15K. NADA has the car valued at ~10K and hopefully we get something like that from State Farm. New car for ~6K, not bad.

Breadfan
06-03-2004, 08:43 AM
See if you can buy the car back from your insurance company after it's totalled...some will let you keep the car for like $50.

If you do, let me know, I'd offer to buy the car or you could part it out. (I can tell you now I need a right rear taillight assembly!)

But yeah, if it's totalled it's in your best interest to try to keep the car if the insurance will let you for a nominal fee.