Starts, but dies... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Starts, but dies...

bngaddict
06-01-2004, 11:01 AM
Ok, this happens about once a week now. I start the car and it starts right up, then it dies right away. I wait 15minutes and try it again and it is just fine!
I ruled out the battery and alternator cause all of the electronics work ok once it dies, and I ruled out the starter cause it starts. I tried giving it gas and it revs up once but then still dies. Anybody have any clue what this may be?

Thanks.

Silver02GT
06-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Check to see if your security light comes on when it will not start. If so try your other key. Its probably a problem with the security.

bngaddict
06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
The security light has never come on. Do all GAGT's have security? How do you enable it?

gobraves02002
06-01-2004, 01:36 PM
when it shut off did it sputter or just off
if sputters sounds like when my fuel pump went, when u change your fuel filter last?
my 2 cents

bngaddict
06-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Never changed the fuel filter, it does sputter. How much does a fuel pump cost?

kubiache
06-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Never changed the fuel filter, it does sputter. How much does a fuel pump cost?

$225-300. Enjoy. I just put in my 4th one in a month today at school. I've got the process down to about 25 minutes. Fortunately I only had to pay for one.

This may be a long shot, but it just happened to me today too. Give your cam position sensor wiring harness a little jiggle. For some reason it worked itself loose on my car and I spent an hour freaking out at why my car still isn't starting. All good now.

EDIT: If you do end up needing a fuel pump, BUY A NEW O-RING. It does NOT come with the filter. Or you can learn the fun way like me and spend an hour tracking down an evap leak only to find it's the old o-ring on the new pump.

coupe
06-01-2004, 04:05 PM
Check to see if your security light comes on when it will not start. If so try your other key. Its probably a problem with the security.

What do you know of this?

About once a week my security light comes on and wont let me start my car, why?

CelticSkyhawk
06-01-2004, 04:09 PM
As mentioned, give your cam wire position harnesses a jiggle and make sure the wire hasn't come off the throttle cam. Also, check your air intake. Between the filter box and the MAF there is a small tube that comes out of the top and runs to the back side of the engine. I'm not even sure what it does, but I learned yesterday that if it is not in place, it will prevent the engine from running for more than a few seconds.

gobraves02002
06-02-2004, 12:32 AM
if u roll windows down and lock car with remote, and then unlock car manually by reaching in, security will be activiated, dont know if that helps