Oil Change Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Problem

ELGT1
06-01-2004, 03:19 PM
the oil change light lit up so i took the car to jiffy lube and had a change done. however, the oil change light is still lit. does anyone know what has to be done in order to remove the light aside from smashing the display ;) ?? id really appreciate some guidance bros

nomojo
06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
hey. dont remember off the top of my head, it has something to do with key in the ignition but not started, and there is a reset button located in the drivers side fuse panel (open the door, and where the door used to cover on the left side of the dash theres a plastic pull away panel. button is in there). I think you have to put the car in ACC, press and hold the button, then the tire light flashes, press it again, then the oil light flashes, then press and hold it until it dings.. something like that.. its in the owners manual for sure.

CoopGT
06-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Inside the driverside fuse box there is a reset switch for the oilchange light .

nomojo
06-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Inside the driverside fuse box there is a reset switch for the oilchange light .

yeap, but its not just as simple as pushing it and going on your way..

if what I mentioned above isnt quite right check the owners manual; if you dont have the owners manual, mayhaps someone can weigh in with the exact procedure

cheers

lucky13rme
06-01-2004, 04:29 PM
With the car "on" but not running, press the reset button (located in the drivers side fuse panel) once till the light flashes, then press and hold till the light goes out.

OR

1. Car to on position (not running though)
2. Pump gas pedal to the floor all the way down, up three times

Panacea
06-01-2004, 04:30 PM
Does anyone read the owners manual anymore?

CoopGT
06-01-2004, 08:38 PM
Mines in my car I was to lazy to go and get it . Sorry

2002AmSE
06-03-2004, 12:18 AM
With the car "on" but not running, press the reset button (located in the drivers side fuse panel) once till the light flashes, then press and hold till the light goes out.

OR

1. Car to on position (not running though)
2. Pump gas pedal to the floor all the way down, up three times

The pumping the gas pedal thing doesn't work on the older ones, like the 99' I've tried it on my moms, didn't work...

You turn the key to 'on'(dont start it), HOLD the reset button, it should start to blink. Now push and hold it again until that light turns off, now turn the key to 'off' and it should be gone the next time you start it.

The procedure is needlessly complicated and I seriously can't see why they didn't just make it the 'pump the pedal' thing with the 99's or just to hit the reset button twice because i've restarted the car after thinking it's been done right and it messes with me and stays on, but hey i've got it down now...

BULLITT
06-22-2004, 06:33 AM
ive done this over and over just like the manual says, light starts blinking, etc...but stays on after i reset it. the oil gets changed regularly and its full on the dipstick. and the light is still on...it will not go out for nothing. i havent tried the pump the pedal way but its a 99 grand am SE, is there anything else it could be? sensor? that light is annoying!

action
06-22-2004, 06:38 AM
The gas pedal thing works on the Sierra Pickups, dont know if it works on GA's,

The reset button always works, press once to make the oil light flash, while its flashing press and hold the reset button again until the light goes out. I think it might chime too, been awhile.

BULLITT
06-22-2004, 06:48 AM
trust me ive done that, ive pressed it with the key on, it starts flashing, while its flashing i press and hold the reset button again and it will go out for a split second then come right back on...it never stays out for more than a split second.....???