details details details [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : details details details

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Im a new girl here so im sure this is pretty common of newbies, but i have like a million questions about the tiniest little details on my car. So. If you see like 2395720 posts from me asking the most rediculous things, don't laugh. Anyways, my 94 didn' t have a sunroof but my 2000 does. So, needless to say I have never drove a car with a sunroof so I don't know much about them. When it opens, in the sunroof way not the vent way, is it supposed to not open all the way?? What i mean by this is as it goes back, it doesn't go all the way back so that the whole cut out for the sunroof is open, there is like an inch or two still covered by the glass of the sunroof window. Also, the sunroof cover doesn't go all the way back either (approximately the same amount 1-2inches). I just find this irritating because I sit in traffic to and from work and don't enjoy having one tan arm and one white arm and would like the maximum amount of sun flooding in! And if this isn't right, I want it fixed.

Moving on....

I was king of impulsive when buying my 2000 and was in dire need of a new car since the 94's brakes were fOk'd. When I got it home I noticed a few normal road debris scratches and nicks in the paint. Now, I know nothing about how to fix these things and although my bro is pretty educated on car mantainence, I don't want to risk messing up the paint, but are their any suggestions on how I could fix these?? I guess if im going to touch it up I want to go about it in the best and most professional way. And then that brings me to my last question...

Since I don't know **** about much (as you all can see)... I also don't know anything about washing and keeping my car all glossy and waxed. With my 94, it was never anything special to me, I never became attached for some reason, so I would just run her through the gas station car wash hEE Hee. But this baby, my 2000, is beautiful and there is no way in hell I would ever let a machine touch her. It's been raining in Minnesota for 5 days now and the rest of the week is looking pretty nice, so I would like to shine her up. Thing is.. don't even know where to start. What should I wash her with, what kind of cloths should I use, should I touch up the paint first?? or if even at all?? Should I use polish? Should I use wax? Which comes first? Whats the best products to use? How about the chrome and the tires? Are there any techniques? I totally know this is an assload of questions, but im a perfectionist, what can you expect?

Thanks in advance

:slayer

AndyVTek
06-02-2004, 06:48 AM
What i mean by this is as it goes back, it doesn't go all the way back so that the whole cut out for the sunroof is open, there is like an inch or two still covered by the glass of the sunroof window. Also, the sunroof cover doesn't go all the way back either (approximately the same amount 1-2inches).
Moving on....

Normal... Irritating, but normal.

When I got it home I noticed a few normal road debris scratches and nicks in the paint. Now, I know nothing about how to fix these things and although my bro is pretty educated on car mantainence, I don't want to risk messing up the paint, but are their any suggestions on how I could fix these?? I guess if im going to touch it up I want to go about it in the best and most professional way.

I think everyone does this different... some scratches will disappear with wax, some might need buffed out. As for rock chips and the like, your best best is touch up paint. As long as you match the colors, it'll be fine. Just like normal paint, in a sense. Use a small brush, let dry. Then you can wax over top.

Thing is.. don't even know where to start. What should I wash her with, what kind of cloths should I use, should I touch up the paint first?? or if even at all?? Should I use polish? Should I use wax? Which comes first? Whats the best products to use? How about the chrome and the tires? Are there any techniques? I totally know this is an assload of questions, but im a perfectionist, what can you expect?

Most of this is preference. Search the forum for threads about types of wax, etc. People like different types. As far as the process goes... wash, rinse, wax. You shouldn't need to wax your car very often if done right, however.

Like I said, do a search for things like Zaino, Meguiars, claybar, etc. Hope that helps!

And *welcome* to the boards.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Can I get the actual 'Redfire' color from the GM/Pontiac dealer? Or would I just go to like Autozone? Thanks for the info.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 07:06 AM
OH yea, do you need to strip wax off every time you rewax?

luniz
06-02-2004, 07:08 AM
You can get the paint to match at a GM dealership. Just have them check your paint code which is under your spare tire cover in your trunk.

'01GTgirl
06-02-2004, 07:11 AM
Welcome!!! and like andy said (and many more will tell you) use the bright green search button up the top :D it helps with almost any question you will have. Good to see another female around here!!!

Hexx
06-02-2004, 07:13 AM
OH yea, do you need to strip wax off every time you rewax?

No but it would be best to do a claybar so that anything that is stuck in the current wax (dirt and what not) doesnt get waxed in again. I threw another coat of wax on my front bumper and hood before my trip to Mass and you can see/feel the little dirt that is there.

My car is black also, so you can see anything and everything on the paint.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 07:17 AM
cool thanks :)

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 07:21 AM
Welcome!!! and like andy said (and many more will tell you) use the bright green search button up the top :D it helps with almost any question you will have. Good to see another female around here!!!
Oh, that big green button, heh, good idea =)

AznGA
06-02-2004, 08:40 AM
I have had my car for about 2 1/2 years now and I have waxed it only once. Since mine is Silver, it doesn't require too much work. I just take it to coin car wash and wash it myself. It's cheaper and cleans bettter. To clean stock chrome rims, I spray some wheel cleaner, brush it, and rinse it off.

Go get a small bottle of touch up paint at a GM dealer. It only costs around $7 and it's really good quality. I touched up some spots on my front bumper and it looks good as new.

AaronGAGT
06-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Welcome!!! and like andy said (and many more will tell you) use the bright green search button up the top :D

Hmm.... Mine isnt green anymore since the change. :(

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
I have had my car for about 2 1/2 years now and I have waxed it only once. Since mine is Silver, it doesn't require too much work. I just take it to coin car wash and wash it myself. It's cheaper and cleans bettter. To clean stock chrome rims, I spray some wheel cleaner, brush it, and rinse it off.

Go get a small bottle of touch up paint at a GM dealer. It only costs around $7 and it's really good quality. I touched up some spots on my front bumper and it looks good as new.
Would I need to buff any of these nicks out before touching it up? if so How would I do that?

AznGA
06-02-2004, 11:39 AM
Where are chips at? I cleaned the area and just touched up and let dry. If the chip or scratch is bigger than your thumbnail, I would get it professionly done.

Esco301
06-02-2004, 11:42 AM
WELCOOOOOMMMMEEEE NEWBIE...

Anybody screen this chick yet?

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Where are chips at? I cleaned the area and just touched up and let dry. If the chip or scratch is bigger than your thumbnail, I would get it professionly done.
No way man, they are small, some on the side door panel, roof, and hood. Just random stuff from road debris, im assuming. one spot thought.. it appears as thought the paint is bubbling a bit.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 11:48 AM

how extensive is this screening? :slayer

Esco301
06-02-2004, 11:50 AM
It varies

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 11:53 AM
yikes

Esco301
06-02-2004, 11:54 AM
don't be scurd

AznGA
06-02-2004, 12:04 PM

Don't even think about it. I have talked to her more than you have.
:)

AznGA
06-02-2004, 12:06 PM
No way man, they are small, some on the side door panel, roof, and hood. Just random stuff from road debris, im assuming. one spot thought.. it appears as thought the paint is bubbling a bit.
How many chips do you have? I don't know what color your car is, but it will be a pain to touch up all that.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 12:07 PM
im not too worried

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 12:21 PM
well lets put it this way, I couldn't even tell when I bought the car, but then again its a beautiful cherry red (redfire) so they aren't that noticeable when just waxed. I just become obsessive and was giving the car an extensive look after I purchased it and noticed it was knicked a few places

AznGA
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Well sometimes touching up the area makes the spot even more noticable. I touched up my front bumper because my body shop did a ****ty job painting it, so the chunks of paint started coming off. Plus it has some invisible cracks inside, so I didn't care.

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Don't even think about it. I have talked to her more than you have.
:)
haha funny

HotLikeFire
06-02-2004, 12:52 PM
hMM well since I can't really show ya, I guess i'll just ask the GM dealership what they think. im too much of a perfectionist damn it

AznGA
06-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Got a camara? GM dealership will rape you on that stuff. I have some minor damages on my car but I would rather spend the money on mods.