Flushing Dexcool Coolant Questions [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Flushing Dexcool Coolant Questions

DXP
06-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Here the deal
I know a lot of peaple are ending up have promblems with the Dexcool Coolant destroying the gasket inside and cause all sorts of other major promblems.
I want to get this stuff out of my car before it starts ruining my car slowly but surely.
Heres the Ouestions.

1. Whats the best way to flush this stuff completely out?

2. Is it ok to Re-Fill the cooling system with just the 50/50 mixture of Green and Water?

Thanks

eric99gt
06-03-2004, 06:41 AM
First, there is not a ton of people having problems with dexcool. It's the crappy design of the Mounting surface for the gaskets that's causing many of the leaks. That's the reason for the new LIM gasket. Now if your still intent on doing this the best way to go about it is to just go to any garage, and they should be able to do a coolant flush.

PACE
06-03-2004, 07:06 AM
Its easy....
1- Drain your coolent
2- Fill system back up with a mix of water and "coolent system cleaner" sold at the auto parts store.
3- Run the car with heat on the windshield for 3 or 4 minutes......
4 Drain system

Repeat these steps until the system is draining clear liquid instead of pink (around 4-5 times). You can use the bleeder valve on the coolent line that is near the valve cover to help get the old out and the new in and flushing.

Once the system is cleaned out, fill it back up with 50% green stuff & 50% water and run the engine adding more and bleeding out the air from the bleeder valve until the system is filled back up with the green. Pretty simple job but it makes a focking mess of your garage......do it in the yard or driveway.

PACE

iceman
06-03-2004, 07:19 AM
I got this prestone flush kit for a few bucks, you can hook up your hose to it and it makes flushing a little faster.. Here is the pic of it installed http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9170 and the original thread http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23454&highlight=prestone+flush .

Pace how do you open the bleeder thing again?

Hexx
06-03-2004, 07:44 AM
After you drain the DEX, can't you just put the hose in the resovoir (sp) and let it run through there until the crap is cleared?

I know I have nasty **** in my res and want to get it out...my oil is fine however.

Breadfan
06-03-2004, 08:41 AM
If you do this at home, try your best to catch any of the draining coolant, and wash away what every ends up on the ground. If you have pets/small children etc, the sweet smell of the glycol may entice them to try to orange "kool-aide" and remember a very small amount can be quite harmful if ingested.

Also, if you flush with water using a hose, you might want to consider changing your oil once you are done. If you are unsure of your LIM's condition that is. The last thing you want is straight up water ending up in the oil...might be best to time the flush with an oil change afterwards just to be on the safe side. (i.e. do the flush when you plan to do your oil...)

Just my 2 cents...

Slim
06-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Is Dexcool really that bad? I thought the sludge was from some sort of sealer put in from the factory? I haven't checked my cooling system lately, but a couple months ago it was still pretty clean. No peanut-butter under the cap yet. *crosses fingers*

asepgrad98
06-03-2004, 07:31 PM
leave the Dexcool in there. If you switch it out you will have to change it every 2 years and the waterpump may fail sooner.

PACE
06-03-2004, 09:10 PM
After you drain the DEX, can't you just put the hose in the resovoir (sp) and let it run through there until the crap is cleared?

I know I have nasty **** in my res and want to get it out...my oil is fine however.

To flush the system you ahve to run the engine to circulate what you are flushing......If you just open the drain and put the hose in the tank it doesn't flush the lines throughout the engine.

The bleeder valve unscrews. Its that funny copper colored nut that points upward on the coolent line that runs directly in front of the valve cover....but its twards the left.

MetaGTP1
06-03-2004, 09:55 PM
If you do this at home, try your best to catch any of the draining coolant, and wash away what every ends up on the ground. If you have pets/small children etc, the sweet smell of the glycol may entice them to try to orange "kool-aide" and remember a very small amount can be quite harmful if ingested.

Also, if you flush with water using a hose, you might want to consider changing your oil once you are done. If you are unsure of your LIM's condition that is. The last thing you want is straight up water ending up in the oil...might be best to time the flush with an oil change afterwards just to be on the safe side. (i.e. do the flush when you plan to do your oil...)

Just my 2 cents...Coolant in oil = new motor. I know from experience! :nono:

CelticSkyhawk
06-04-2004, 10:48 PM
I've been told multiple times that even if you choose not to use Dexcool, do NOT use the green coolant. Our cooling system is made to use the orange coolant (they contain different chemicals). Seeing that I've had to have my gaskets replaced twice, had my water pump replaced and just replaced my thermostat, I'm not too concerned with using Dexcool only. My question is, with our system, do you still mix 50/50 orange/water or is it purely the Dexcool/other brand orange coolant?

Mike Jung
06-05-2004, 10:02 PM
...My question is, with our system, do you still mix 50/50 orange/water or is it purely the Dexcool/other brand orange coolant?
Use GM Dex-Cool / Havoline DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant (http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/compprd9.nsf/c88c682625e06af6882568db00737ce8/ab30f4d48c33f01a88256b53007f1f4c/$FILE/COOL-2210.pdf) mixed with 50-40% distilled water.

It is normally concentrated & you need to mix water with it; unless you buy it pre-mixed (which I have heard they make, but never seen it for 'Dex-cool').

HatchetRyda
06-06-2004, 12:04 PM
Zerex it's a brand made by valvoline...pre-mixed no need to add water...says dex-cool right on the jug.

71Z28RS
06-09-2004, 07:48 AM
Not to sound like too much of a jerk, buy I don't understand why people buy pre-mixed. Yeah, it's a little bit cheaper but it's only half the coolant you normally get if you were to mix it yourself. 1 non-mixed = 2 pre-mixed. I don't understand why it's perceived to be so difficult to mix it yourself at home. It isn't exactly rocket science. Hell, you could mix it 50/50 with Dasani and it'd still be cheaper than buying pre-mixed at the store. Then you could brag to your buddies that your car cools with Dasani.....and if they ragged on you, you could say, "Hey, at least I didn't waste my money on pre-mixed like you lazy punks!".

I wish I could come up with an idea to make lots of money off of lazy people. I know, how about pre-chewed food? By spending a few extra bucks on "71's Pre-Chewed Food!" :vomit: , you can spend more time sitting on the couch watching TV! Does anybody want to buy my new product? "71's Pre-Chewed Food!" is now available at an introductory price! Think of all the time you'll save not having to chew food! Can't afford it? No problem! Just put it on credit! :thumbsdow Buy now!

Hexx
06-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Not to sound like too much of a jerk, buy I don't understand why people buy pre-mixed. Yeah, it's a little bit cheaper but it's only half the coolant you normally get if you were to mix it yourself. 1 non-mixed = 2 pre-mixed. I don't understand why it's perceived to be so difficult to mix it yourself at home. It isn't exactly rocket science. Hell, you could mix it 50/50 with Dasani and it'd still be cheaper than buying pre-mixed at the store. Then you could brag to your buddies that your car cools with Dasani.....and if they ragged on you, you could say, "Hey, at least I didn't waste my money on pre-mixed like you lazy punks!".

I wish I could come up with an idea to make lots of money off of lazy people. I know, how about pre-chewed food? By spending a few extra bucks on "71's Pre-Chewed Food!" :vomit: , you can spend more time sitting on the couch watching TV! Does anybody want to buy my new product? "71's Pre-Chewed Food!" is now available at an introductory price! Think of all the time you'll save not having to chew food! Can't afford it? No problem! Just put it on credit! :thumbsdow Buy now!

Why not just eat jello and apple sauce...duh. lol

ForgeGT1
08-23-2004, 03:51 PM

Just my 2 cents...

Is it important to do them at the same time? I just changed my oil last week. I just added some green to my dexcool b.c i needed it. I know, bad idea. I want to flush my system now but not if it is going to affect my engine oil. I was planning on using some prestone super flush instead of the hose.

Also, if i flush the coolant system, must i bleed the air out. Is it bad if I don't?

Thanks.

abusedgt97
08-25-2004, 06:30 PM
The problem with dexcool is this, if you add dex cool to your green coolant system you are fine.

If you add green coolant to a dex cool system, you can never go back to a true dex cool system. The green coolant has a chemical (glycal something that is an acid) that embeds in the metal and you are not able to get rid of it, so when you flush and refill it with dex cool it will not last long at all and you will have to change it more frequently.

Also, it is best to bleed the air out, air pockets in the coolant are not good.

Lilred96gagt
08-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Use GM Dex-Cool / Havoline DEX-COOL Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant (http://library.cbest.chevron.com/lubes/compprd9.nsf/c88c682625e06af6882568db00737ce8/ab30f4d48c33f01a88256b53007f1f4c/$FILE/COOL-2210.pdf) mixed with 50-40% distilled water.

It is normally concentrated & you need to mix water with it; unless you buy it pre-mixed (which I have heard they make, but never seen it for 'Dex-cool').
Prestone makes it, I keep a jug in my car for those just in case days. about $7 @ walmart. AS for the sludge... 1996 w/ 81000 mi and I just replaced the coolant while doing the headgasket. NO PEANUT BUTTER and still in good shape. :ec:

magyver
10-12-2004, 06:36 PM
what if i got the sludge, and my engine overheats now, and all my coolant leaks out after i site idel for a while, so i put in a new water pump, and its making noises like it aint lubricated... the old pump seems to work fine after i took it out, but put the new one in JIC.. but dosent sound cool... how much is a flush? cant be too bad... i can be rather messy, i rent so i dont want to f up there garage...