Removing clear coat? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Removing clear coat?

Hexx
06-03-2004, 07:09 AM
Hey all,
As some of you know, my driver's door has a clear coat and orange peel issue. I have been too busy lately to get quotes and stuff for a fix but I will be going soon (hopefully).

What I want to know is, is it possible for a shop to remove the clear coat and buff the orange peel somehow? I don't know if shops have special methods or if the door will have to be sanded/resprayed completely.

TIA

Breadfan
06-03-2004, 07:36 AM
The only thing they can do is wet sand it with fine grit sandpaper until it's even on the whole door and then buff it back to a shine. Depending on how thick the bubbles or orange peel is, it can take a long time to sand that much and there is the possibility thte paint layer will be quite thin when they are done.

It's probably best to hit the door with some higher grit paper to get the paint completely off, then go fine to smooth it straight and primer it. Then have it painted. If you were good at diy body work you could do that part at home, take the door to be primed/painted.

It may be possible to sand down the orange peel and rebuff the paint, but seeing how it was done originally it's probably best to just sand it smooth and get a fresh coat of paint.

Hexx
06-03-2004, 08:15 AM
The only thing they can do is wet sand it with fine grit sandpaper until it's even on the whole door and then buff it back to a shine. Depending on how thick the bubbles or orange peel is, it can take a long time to sand that much and there is the possibility thte paint layer will be quite thin when they are done.

It's probably best to hit the door with some higher grit paper to get the paint completely off, then go fine to smooth it straight and primer it. Then have it painted. If you were good at diy body work you could do that part at home, take the door to be primed/painted.

It may be possible to sand down the orange peel and rebuff the paint, but seeing how it was done originally it's probably best to just sand it smooth and get a fresh coat of paint.

Yeah I have enough body work I'm doing on my VW right now....I don't feel like doing it myself on my GAGT. Shouldn't cost too too much though for a sand/respray though eh? Less than $300 I would think.

Crisco
06-03-2004, 08:36 AM
you mean you want to get rid of the orange peel? Wet sand it with some 1500 grit and buff it out. Just sand it down smooth and make sure not to burn through the clear. If you do burn through then you will have to spray some color on it and re-clear it.

If you dont want to mess with it, take it to a body shop and pay them to do it, that way if they screw up, it will be their fault

Hexx
06-03-2004, 11:38 AM
you mean you want to get rid of the orange peel? Wet sand it with some 1500 grit and buff it out. Just sand it down smooth and make sure not to burn through the clear. If you do burn through then you will have to spray some color on it and re-clear it.

If you dont want to mess with it, take it to a body shop and pay them to do it, that way if they screw up, it will be their fault

Well...I don't think its the clearcoat that is peeled...might be...I dunno. I know it was flaking where my badge used to be (whoever sprayed the door before left the badges on and sprayed over them and the door with clear...they were too lazy to remove it).

I'll get some quotes around here and post them here to see if it's too much $$ to spend on a door.