MAX Fan Setting [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : MAX Fan Setting

GAGT7386
06-03-2004, 12:31 PM
I was just wondering if when that setting is turned on does it also have anything to do with the A/C? Does it rob the car of any performance??

THANX!

scaredpoet
06-03-2004, 01:20 PM
The Max fan setting turns on the A/C compressor, regardless of whether the AC button is lit or not. It's also switches the vents to recirculated air (as opposed to blowing in outside air on other settings).

Technically, it won't rob any more power than would normally be taken from the engine when the A/C is running. However, if your car's running right then you shouldn't really notice a difference with the A/C on or off.

2002AmSE
06-03-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah, you shouldnt notice significant road performance loss, but you dont really want it on if you are doing a dyno test, racing, or getting your quarter mile times. It's basically miniscule but for most people it would be a slight gas mileage difference(nothing over 1 or 2 miles per gallon)

GAGT7386
06-04-2004, 11:46 AM
So what is the difference b/w the A/C button and the MAX fan setting?

Mike Jung
06-05-2004, 08:49 PM
^

MAX setting your in re-circulating the air in the car mode (best for max cooling using AC of interior of car, after you've opened the windows to let the hot air out).

If you have the setting on vent: for face, face & floor, or floor...it brings in fresh air from outside above your hood (near the windsheild).

Push the AC button when in the vent mode: it turns on the AC compressor to cool the air / de-humidify the air coming in.

In Use:
It is best first to open all the windows, to let the hot air out.
Get the car up to normal operating temps.
Close the car windows.
Turn on the AC to MAX.
When cold enough, switch it into vent mode with AC on; so the air inside the car does not go stale.

john_ertw
06-06-2004, 06:57 AM
^

In Use:
It is best first to open all the windows, to let the hot air out.
Get the car up to normal operating temps.
Close the car windows.
Turn on the AC to MAX.
When cold enough, switch it into vent mode with AC on; so the air inside the car does not go stale.

I agree totally! I can't stand it when people turn on their car and put the AC on instead of opening their windows first. The car cools off so much quicker by opening all the windows and just driving the distance of half a block.

carsarecool
06-06-2004, 07:16 AM
haha, no noticable road performance loss with the 3400- but i'm at the higher side of 250 lbs, also i have a bunch of friends above 200, 2 of which over 6' 280. if i have those 2 in the car when im driving and we have the a/c on too i can definietly notice a difference, especially climbing hills the car barely moves- its fine with it off but add the extra weight and a/c and i can definietly tell its a 4 cyl