Helicoil [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Helicoil

bngaddict
06-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Has anyone eer use a helicoil kit to re-thread the spark plug sockets. I stripped mine in cylinder 4. Are they hard to use?

Thanks.

Coop
06-05-2004, 10:10 AM
I've used helicoils before but never for a spark plug. They're not too hard, just make sure you drill and tap square, back the tap off frequently to clear chips from the flutes of the tap so the threads aren't fubar. The spark plug kits are more of a thread insert IIRC so there shouldn't be any extra special tools needed, althougb I'm sure whatever you need comes with the kit. Hardest part is just getting in to it to work on it.

drumking1721
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Old thread bringing it back up. Ive got an issue and i dont feel safe doing it myself. This past weekend i stripped the bolt holes on the LIM that bolt down the UIM. No infront its the center bolt,and bolt towards the driver side upfront,and in the rear its the center bolt. All of which when torquing properly stripped out. I know pep boys sells a kit of the size bolts i use, M8 etc.....is this something hard to do? The car is still driving and such,but its just the burden knowing i have those stripped...any help? thanks

drumking1721
10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Bump

AaronGTR
10-02-2007, 06:48 AM
They can probably be fixed, but it will take a little time to do it properly. You'll need to take off the UIM obviously, and get a tape or thread cleaner in the appropriate size. Run the tap down the holes that are stripped going 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time and then backing it out at least 1/2 turn to remove the metal chips. I like to hold a vacuum by the hole when doing this on an engine to suck up any metal chips so they don't get in the intake runners. When finished re-install the UIM and re-torque the bolts. It would be a good idea to see if you can get slightly longer bolts for the holes that are stripped, and hopefully the holes are deep enough for them to fit without drilling and tapping them any deeper. Don't forget to use thread lock, and torque them to the final specs in two steps. :)

drumking1721
10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
I did get the longer bolts(3 needed). When i went to torque them to the right torque,instead of the click,i got a pop. Sweet huh? anyways all the bolts are in and holding,how well there holding.idk. I forgot to put my red threadlock onto the bolts when bolting them down. The car has not set off any codes,and its still running faster i think. Next time ill have a chance to work on it with it done absoulutly right will be during my xmas break. Im considering just buying a ported LIM when i do the gaskets. Also,after you clean it out,do you just pop the helicoils in?...thanks Aaron,you're always a great help

RayZ
10-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I did get the longer bolts(3 needed). When i went to torque them to the right torque,instead of the click,i got a pop.
Are you torquing to Inch-Pounds???

drumking1721
10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
yeah....when converted its like 216 inch pounds....but i did like 205 and it still did it

Sprucegagt
10-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I did get the longer bolts(3 needed). When i went to torque them to the right torque,instead of the click,i got a pop. Sweet huh? anyways all the bolts are in and holding,how well there holding.idk. I forgot to put my red threadlock onto the bolts when bolting them down. The car has not set off any codes,and its still running faster i think. Next time ill have a chance to work on it with it done absoulutly right will be during my xmas break. Im considering just buying a ported LIM when i do the gaskets. Also,after you clean it out,do you just pop the helicoils in?...thanks Aaron,you're always a great help

Why are you torquing the UIM bolts? Just snug them down good. You also don't need thread locker, that's for LIM bolts.

Helicoils are real easy to install. Just get a kit that includes the install tool, inserts and tap. Follow the directions and make sure you use the correct size drill bit. This will be called out in the directions.

drumking1721
10-02-2007, 04:05 PM
i thought it said in haynes to torque down to that....oh well thanks andy, weekend project part 2 i guess

AaronGTR
10-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, technically yes there is a torque spec for those bolts and you should follow it if you are worried about stripping them out. After you've installed the UIM and tightened those bolts enough times though you'll know how tight they need to be so... some people don't torque them. You don't really need thread locker either. A little of the blue medium strength wouldn't hurt if you don't plan on taking the UIM off a lot, but you don't need the red high strength.

drumking1721
10-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I plan just on using the red locker on the outside of the helicoil itself,just to keep it in there and be safe....

Sprucegagt
10-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Don't do that! Helicoils do not need thread locker.

drumking1721
10-03-2007, 07:41 AM
ok ok my bad. Its being done today after i get outta class....but i do need a handle for the tap,im not gonna use a drill for tapping,too nervous,so i gotta pick one up,pep boys doesnt sell them,im hoping sears does

SE'sarecool2
10-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Be very careful when you put the UIM back on! Make sure the motor(& LIM) have cooled down so that the UIM & LIM are about the same temp. I made this mistake when I put my 65mm TB on. When I torqued the UIM bolt near the alternator I heard a pop also... IT WAS THE INTAKE CRACKING NEAR THE MOUNTING HOLE!! After driving it for a day its cracked near 2 more mounting holes. Now I have a vacuum leak(and a reason to upgrade to a 3500 UIM)

drumking1721
10-03-2007, 02:07 PM
K guys its all done. Went super easy and no worries,all is good! thanks for all your help!