CAI - Water in engine question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : CAI - Water in engine question

GAGTSCTGuy
06-05-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't think it happened, but I was riding around today, its raining very hard here in maryland, and I was wondering, if water was to get into my intake(which I don't think it has), would a SES appear?

luniz
06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
If you have a K&N filter you shouldn't have to worry about it. The filter will get wet but normally the intake would not ingest substantial amounts of water. I don't necessarily know if you would get a SES light; however, if you got a hydrolocked engine, you would definately know it.

action
06-07-2004, 08:35 AM
I've driven through teh absolute worst rainstorms including 150-200km/hr winds on the highway and have had no issues with water in my engine witha CAI. I'd suspect your safe.

RAZE
06-07-2004, 09:06 AM
I doubt the air filter when placed in water can suck up enough water to hydrolock an engine. Even if the filter did suck in a tiny bit of water, I bet it would be equivalent to sucking in air on a moist day.

iceman
06-07-2004, 09:08 AM
If your filter gets soaked to the point of severely restricting air flow... the car will start misfiring severely and you'll get a flashing SES.

GAGTSCTGuy
06-07-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys, thats what I thought, but I wasn't sure, riding around that day the engine sounded strange sometimes but fine others, so I wasn't sure what it had to do with, I'm probably just paranoid. Its funny, I read and read and read more before buying one, and then read more for the 3 weeks I waited to get it, and I had no worrys. The first day out in heavy rain still scared me a little. Everything has been fine since though....

action
06-08-2004, 09:01 AM
Like I said earlier, I would not worry, you will not find heavier nastier weather than we get here in Newfoundland.I haven't had any problems whatsoever in the last 3 years. Only thing I do is take off the CAI in the winter because its a pain to service when the car is always full of road salt, snowslush and crap all winter long.