changing oil and plug won't come off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : changing oil and plug won't come off

moyn
06-06-2004, 03:10 PM
i'm trying to change my oil (for the first time) and i went to go take off the drain plug and holy **** that thing just will not come off. me and 3 of my friends all tried taking that thing off. and i just stopped b/c we started to strip it. how the hell do you get that thing off. could my mechanic who did it before possible put it on way to tight? do i need an air hose with gun or something. i put alittle wd-40 on and everything. and still it wouldn't move. then we thought maybe it goes the other way. i was turning the classic lefty lossy way. please help as i am ****ed i could not finish the task after i went and bought everything, thanks
moyn

tenspeed
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
It should be a 15mm plug. Use a boxed end wrench and turn counter clockwise (left).

moyn
06-06-2004, 05:28 PM
hey tenspeed, drive your hick ass out of honeoye and come over here and rip this thing off then! lol. seriously its on f**king tight. i have to go in and get an oil change and have them take it off now b/c i started to strip it and i don't want to strip it anymore. and i was using a 13mm the 14 one seemed to big. oh well

coupe
06-06-2004, 05:35 PM
It should be 15mm. I dont see how it could be on THAT tight.

v6h.o.
06-06-2004, 08:07 PM
the newer 03's 04's are now using a 13mm socket plug... for some ****ing reason.. dont ask me why...

i agree i dont see how the hell it could be on that tight. if it does strip, use some vise grip pliers and get htem on there good and tight and give them a good smack to break it free. just pulling will make the pliers come loose and strip more, you need to "jar" it free first...

otherwise it should just come right out without having this type of proplem..

and remember "lefty loosy, righty tighty" :P

moyn
06-06-2004, 08:15 PM
yea i know the whole lefty loosy righty tighty thing but someone was telling me that sometimes with these cars they are the other way around. but i couldn't believe that. anyways yea 3 of us tried to pop this thing off. and we are pretty stong guys and none of us could get it. so i guess i'll just take it to the shop before i strip it more and just have them **** with it and then replace the damn nut. i suppose i "could" be trying to take the wrong nut off as well being my first time. but i highly doubt that. there pretty much is only one nut coming out of the engine anyways. oh well i guess

brim
06-06-2004, 09:46 PM
yea i know the whole lefty loosy righty tighty thing but someone was telling me that sometimes with these cars they are the other way around. but i couldn't believe that. anyways yea 3 of us tried to pop this thing off. and we are pretty stong guys and none of us could get it. so i guess i'll just take it to the shop before i strip it more and just have them **** with it and then replace the damn nut. i suppose i "could" be trying to take the wrong nut off as well being my first time. but i highly doubt that. there pretty much is only one nut coming out of the engine anyways. oh well i guess

actually i hear ya, first oil change i did on the ho' was a pain in the ass. I struggled with the damn plug but it finally came out

get under there as best you can, jack it up if you need to and get the best grip possible

snwman
06-06-2004, 11:02 PM
well mine is 15mm and i have no problem with it but 13mm wrenches are shorter less leverage. find a long box end wrench and it will come off.

juanvan
06-10-2004, 08:33 AM
Leverage is the key
Strength has nothing to leverage

get a 3/4 wrench with what ever socket, put a fence pole on it then push

With ne luck it will come out
g/l

Molson
06-10-2004, 08:38 AM
tighten it, the slightest, just so it slightly turns, that will break it free, then loosen it.

Anytime you have a bolt that you think it will break/strip when removing, tighen, then loosen, tighten, then loosen. It will clear/clean the threads and break and oxidization thats holding it on. Esp in alum like in an oil pan.

moyn
06-11-2004, 02:05 PM
what kind of drain plug should i buy for 03 gagt? what size and everything. once i get it off i'm going to replace the plug just want to buy the right size. and thanks for everyone's help

Sir Cujo
06-11-2004, 03:01 PM
Someone probably put it on with an impact wrench. Leave it to the $15.95 15 minute lube places to do that.

Instead of just torquing it off, try to bang on it, similar to an impact wrench. If you have an impact wrench, then there ya go :) Turn down the air pressure and let it start hammering.. slowly increase the air pressure, and it should pop out.

juanvan
06-15-2004, 01:25 PM
^^ we are talking alumin here, who in there right mind would put an impact on an oil pan?
maybe a speed ratchet for the l-a-z-z-y

Panacea
06-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Well, what's the deal?

I bet he was turning it the wrong way.

Dan00GPGT
06-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I've had them on really tight before as well (usually the first oil change). Drain plugs need to be snug, you don't need 400 ft lbs of torque on them. If you can't get it off with a regular ratchet, use a breaker bar or a piece of pipe on the ratchet. The car was heated up well when you tried this right? That would make the bolt a little easier to get out as well as for the oil to drain.

NEVER use an impact gun on a oil pan bolt to tighten or loosen. Bad idea... I'd get a replacement plug from a GM dealer. They may be more pricey but that's a part I wouldn't want to get a generic version of.

moyn
06-16-2004, 06:04 PM
yea i finally got it off. but not me personally. i just took it to the dealership b/c i had to get a lot of warranty stuff done as well. so it cost me only like 30 bucks to get about 500 dollars of other stuff to get done. not bad if you ask me. i'm not sure if they replaced the plug that's why i wanted to know the part number or size of the nut b/c i'll replace it when i go and try to change the oil myself in a few months. but all in all it came off and they had no problems. thanks for everyone's help!

yahuli
04-08-2009, 07:35 AM
I have the same problem with getting the bolt loosened in the spring during my first oil change of the year, done by yours truely. I don't have a garage, which makes changing oil during the winter very chilly up here in the north. So, all winter long the oil gets changed at walmart. I KNOW they use an impact wrench to put the thing back on, which makes it a bitch to remove yourself if you don't own one (you can buy 12v electric ones, btw- Home Depot has them, I just seem to forget to pick up a 15mm socket for mine).

The guys above are right though- never EVER use an impact wrench to tighten the bolt. That eventually only leads to trouble. I've also seen impact sockets for use on oil filters... there's a terrible idea if I've ever seen one! :hammer:

AaronGTR
04-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, best thing to use on the the oil drain plug is a six point socket. Twelve point sockets and box wrenches, and open end wrenches don't have as much engagement with the sides of the bolt head and are more likely to strip it. If it's really really tight, you can also try heating the oil pan around the bolt with a propane torch and that might loosen it up. Of course, if you have to do that then it's pretty obvious someone tightened it way too much and has probably started to strip the threads on the bolt. I'd buy a new bolt, and hope the threads in the pan are still usable.

PhantomLover007
04-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Would one of those Gator wrenches work good on it?