My battery is almost dead! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My battery is almost dead!

Vintalage
06-07-2004, 09:08 AM
I don't know what the hell happened but my battery has lost almost all it's juice. Yesterday, it was fine. Today when I get ready to leave for work this morning, I put the key in, turn it to start and hear click...click. I'm like "oh no!!! WTF???" I try again and the same thing. So I take the key out and sit for about a minute thinking about what I should do. I decide to put the key back in and try again. The car managed to start up after a number of cranks. It managed to start up because it killed all power to the accesories. So I drove to work.

I'm sick and tired of this. Every freakin time I run into a problem with this car. What's the point in me dumping mods into this car if it wants to act up and not treat me right? No point. I think i'm done.

Anyway, since i'm in need of a battery, I want to get Optima battery. What do you guys recommend? Red top or yellow top? And where can I get one for cheap. I may manage to get the car home today but I know for sure it won't start tomorrow. I want a good battery.

Roush GT
06-07-2004, 09:12 AM
get a red top.. I've had my share of problems with the stock ac delco battery.. it blows.

Mike Jung
06-07-2004, 10:53 AM
...And where can I get one for cheap...

Here locally in Toronto, it would be:

Sam's Club or Costco

Sleepwalkr
06-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I first noticed it when I went to lock my car and when the horn normally chirps, it didn't, but still locked the car. So I got in and it barely turned over. Fortunately, I was taking it in for a "fix anything under warranty before it expires in 700 miles" check-up anyways.... so they fixed that. They said it was acid leaking and eating the cables. They put in a new AC Delco and cables & its been fine ever since.

Vintalage
06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Ok, i'll stop at costco when i'm leaving work this afternoon and see if they have one. I think I better call first. Hopefully, they have it.

Since this is a common problem with delco's batteries, am I not entitled to a free replacement? :confused: This is just an '02.

Kdawg207
06-07-2004, 11:04 AM
Since this is a common problem with delco's batteries, am I not entitled to a free replacement? :confused: This is just an '02.

nope....happened to my 03

go redtop

Hexx
06-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Mine died one day. I left my POS Corbra detector on overnight. I was like ****. So I turned it off, started the car right up....it was fine.

Turned the radio on with the off but on ACC. Nothing else was on. It was on for like 5-10 mins when I rolled down my window (when I did that, the radio started to die).

Car went *click click* when I tried to start it. I had to boost it to get it going.

fraws
06-07-2004, 11:27 AM
I thought the yellow top battery out performed the red top for reserve power and cranking amps in cold weather? Um... Do you have any audio equiptment? My friend changed to the yellow top about a month or so ago and loves it. So I'm just waiting to build up cash and tell my wife some b/s story about my current battery...

Now i'm interested why everyone has said "RED"?

:nono:

Kdawg207
06-07-2004, 11:29 AM
yellow is overkill unless you have a lot of audio going on

Mike Jung
06-07-2004, 11:33 AM
fraws,

see thread: Red Top Batteries get an A+ (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3882&highlight=red+top)

The Optima Red Top is cheaper & has an higher cold cranking power.

The Optima Yellow Top has a better reserve power & is for deep-cycling.

fraws
06-07-2004, 12:22 PM
That was one of the most impressive threads I have read with USEFUL information. :wow:

DXP
06-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Before u go and buy that new battery try this first.

You may have already thought of this but i thouh i'd better metion it cause this happened to me

Check your battery terminals for corotion not only that but check under the boots on the wires.
My car would not start one day and like you say it just clicked then nothing at all.
Here i found my wires were very badly coroded under the wire boots which caused it not to start.

Plus, if this is the promblem you have the same thing with the new battery

Just pull the wire boots off and check you may be as surprized as i was.

Vintalage
06-07-2004, 02:20 PM
I'll pull 'em off shortly and check although I did look under the hood earlier to see if there was any kind of liquid on and around the battery and battery terminals and I saw nothing.

Vintalage
06-07-2004, 06:39 PM
Got the optima redtop from costco today. Paid $109 for it. The delco held up and was able to start the car albeit slow. Got home, changed out the old battery with the new and managed to drop the the piece that locks the battery down into the engine bay. Couldn't get it out so now I have to go to the dealer and try and get a new one. Plugged back in the terminals and put the key to start. The car started right up as it should.

My question now is what do I do with the old battery?

iceman
06-07-2004, 06:50 PM
I heard tossin it in open flames is always koo

brim
06-07-2004, 07:32 PM
car was dead this morning, no power whatsoever here

had to jump it and it held charge fine, left it goin for 20 minutes and turned it off, then left 5 minutes later. Get to work just fine, turn the car off and 9 hours later, car is dead again

nothing is left on, but WTF jumped it again and it's fine, gonna disconnect the battery tonight and see if it'll work tomorrow when i wake up

brand new battery and alt I just put in

riddle me that

Mike Jung
06-07-2004, 07:49 PM
...My question now is what do I do with the old battery?

Get it recycled or disposed of as hazardous waste.
Think of the environment.

Take it to the dealer/a garage/ auto parts store/ city recycle & hazzardous waste depots to get rid of it properly.

brim
06-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Get it recycled or disposed of as hazardous waste.
Think of the environment.

Take it to the dealer/a garage/ auto parts store/ city recycle & hazzardous waste depots to get rid of it properly.

if it's a 99, delco i think had a 6 yr warranty, dunno if you can get anything for it, i brought mine to autozone when i replaced my battery, they gave me like 8 bucks for it lol